K&T Milwaukee Rotary head milling machine mdl D - $5500 (santa cruz)

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I think he got an extra zero in there. I was looking at one of these machines a while back and although they are kinda neat they don't have nearly the capacity you would expect in a 5000 lb machine. Another one of those innovations that came before CNC and is now pretty much a moot point.

Screenshot from 2020-06-23 07-56-12.png

I think the K&T Model 2-D is one of the neatest machines ever built. The machine has universal drive on all axes, with sinusoidal motion on the Z (with the cherrying attachment) and the rotary axis for magnitude and displacement. It would be mind boggling to plot a chart for some of the complex motions this mill is capable of. I routinely search the machine dealers for this specific mill. For one in good condition with the accessories, the asking price is okay, especially in southern California. This one is "currently wired" for 480, which should be written as can "only be wired" for 480, which is a project to convert. If I hadn't bought my Lagun this fall, I'd be on my way to the airport now.

Yes, it's a super cool machine. Like I said I was looking into one a while back and what I found was it takes a very experienced machinist to make it do all the things it can. I posted it here because I figured if anyone would actually want one it will probably be one of our members.

My comment on the price is based on the one I was looking at last year, I think it was actually offered for free. I think it's at a shop that I've talked to the owner before and he's an interesting guy, knows his stuff and has tons of pieces and parts for all kinds of gear.

If anyone is looking for weird stuff he's definitely worth a call.

John

My Dad's uncle was a tool and die maker in the '50s-'60s who would travel all over the country doing "special jobs", only working at night because he said the vibrations from the earth were lower then... truth is, he probably needed to concentrate like hell to do his work and didn't need any distractions. I remember clearly seeing one of his notebooks that had his plotting all worked out for complex rotary motions a'la K&T rotary head. It was fascinating.

Where's Duane, he can move that to his new shop.....

I went by there this morning and it's definitely a thing of beauty.

John

At least it is indoors, machines like this make me kind of sad. They are such a feat of engineering, but the number of people in the market for a 5000lb, 480v machine are probably far fewer than the machines available. Hope it finds a good home.

My Dad's uncle was a tool and die maker in the '50s-'60s who would travel all over the country doing "special jobs", only working at night because he said the vibrations from the earth were lower then... truth is, he probably needed to concentrate like hell to do his work and didn't need any distractions. I remember clearly seeing one of his notebooks that had his plotting all worked out for complex rotary motions a'la K&T rotary head. It was fascinating.
It would be cool to see his notebooks - that's for sure!

Actually, the vibrations in the shop during normal working hours does effect all equipment throughout the shop.
I experienced CMM's and related machines crash because of that.
I would have to work second or graveyard shifts to get the work done because the fork trucks weren't going back and forth.
That's not to mention the overhead cranes.......

Back