Kalamazoo 816 Bandsaw Restore

When I ordered the parts which was last year it was directly through kalamazoo. Their prices were shockingly cheap a new brass nut Assy. With the carriage for it was 50 dollars and the cup seal for the cylinder was 9.00 iirc. Great service they also carry clausing lathes and parts.
I went down that whole head weight path when my cylinder had a bad piston cup. When I ordered the one from Kalamazoo it was too tight for whatever reason. I ended up looking at Napa and getting brake cylinder cups which you can get in about any size and it worked perfect. Kicker was the cup seal from Napa was like 3.00 for a pack of 5. So I’ve got some spares if it decides to fail.
I used that saw almost every day cutting everything from thin wall pipe to 6” rounds of stainless to cast iron chunks. She’s a workhorse even with the smaller motor. We almost have the same taste in paint selection.
101AC655-CBAD-459A-9685-6C53E019170F.jpeg

C102D5A8-AED5-4EA5-87AB-96704D3E895C.jpeg

The main worm gear bearings on these saws are a PITA to replace without some type of press!

There's no room behind the bearing to get a regular puller or bearing splitter tool to get a good hold of the bearing.
I ended up just cutting the bearings off on the first axle seeing that it was damaged anyway!

Doug

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like that may be a little much for my little 1/2 ton arbor press ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I ordered the parts which was last year it was directly through kalamazoo.
Great service they also carry clausing lathes and parts.
I believe Clausing actually bought the Kalamazoo saw line about 20 years ago, The saws they currently sell now have a Kalamazoo/Causing logo on them. kalamazoosaws.com

A salesman at a local Production Tool store told me that the older Kalamazoo parts are not being manufactured any more, And the older replacement parts supply is running out.

Doug

I believe Clausing actually bought the Kalamazoo saw line about 20 years ago, The saws they currently sell now have a Kalamazoo/Causing logo on them. kalamazoosaws.com

A salesman at a local Production Tool store told me that the older Kalamazoo parts are not being manufactured any more, And the older replacement parts supply is running out.

Doug
Correct I forgot which one bought who? As for parts availability all I know is they had everything I asked for. Better hurry if you need them then.

Better hurry if you need them then.
I got lucky & found another 816 saw on C/L for $125, It wasn't running & it had the usual bad/leaking hydraulic cylinder.
IMG_3659.JPGIMG_3733.JPG
Being I found this one "After" I got mine running good, I saved the gearbox/wheels/guide brackets/vise nut assembly & lead screw/tension spring/and hydraulic cylinder. I managed to sell the base & upper frame section for more than I originally paid for the saw, So I ended up with some nice "back-up parts" & a couple extra $$ to boot. :cool:

Doug

Great job on the saw!

Here's some pictures of my Kalamazoo 816 bandsaw that I rebuilt over a several year period.
It basically always ran, But it never really cut square & I broke several blades because the head weight was way too heavy.

Original condition with a bad hydraulic cylinder, Broken tension spring, And wrong size motor.
View attachment 341070View attachment 341072View attachment 341079

After pictures including a rebuilt gearbox & hydraulic cylinder! I also replaced the motor with the correct old style large frame motor which also helps counter balance the head weight.
View attachment 341080View attachment 341090View attachment 341096View attachment 341093View attachment 341094View attachment 341095

Doug
Nice job looks great

Nice job looks great
Thanks!

I just ordered a couple of new Simmons M-42 bi-metal blades for my saw, The two blades I currently have are several years old & just regular hardback carbon blades. The M-42 bi-metal blades should make a nice difference.

Doug

Back