Kalamazoo Belt Sander

They sell a coarse grit and fine grit assortment. That might be a better way to go so you can decide for yourself what works before you buy in quantity. Belt seams tend to let go if they sit too long. By too long, I mean more than a year or so. If they let go, the belt will part suddenly with very little warning (it will sound funny for maybe a second or two and then ... BAM!) If you hear anything, step back immediately and turn off the machine.

I use the 36 grit belts to rough shape HSS tools and 80-120 to get rid of the coarse marks. Then I go to my diamond stones - coarse, fine and extra-fine.

If you prefer to use your belts to get a polished tool face, step up through the grits to 600. You'll have a near mirror finish and it will take you only a few minutes on an extra-fine diamond stone to have that tool ready to cut. I suggest that you only use your diamond stone to put the nose radius on the tool, though. Belts cut too aggressively for that job.

You might want to consider putting a Pyroceram platen on your grinder, Nez. Trust me; it is well worth doing this because that platen will stay dead flat for many years. I sound like a broken record but a good tool rest is essential. If you use the stock rest, buy a cheap digital protractor so you can set your tool rest angles properly.

Mikey,

I did not realize the belts have shelf lives, otherwise I would not have ordered the 12 packs. I saw the assortment package, if it were have been 2 each of every grit in the pack I would ordered that way. Oh well, I may offer up half of each of the packages to guys here who can use the 1x42 for what I have in them.

I certainly plan on modifying the platen, could you direct me to your favorite platen supplier?

Sometime ago I bought an adjustable rest from Lee Valley for, I will see if it were compatible with this sander.

nez

Nez, nice find on the grinder, the motor alone is worth more than you paid for the whole thing. I also use the ceramic belts from Red Label Abrasives, you cant go wrong with them.

Jeff,

Good to hear.

Maybe one of these days when I get this sander all set up I can bribe you into coming over so you can over the shoulder me as I grind some tool bits. I have needs for some purpose built form tools.

nez

Reactions: Z2V
Mikey,

I did not realize the belts have shelf lives, otherwise I would not have ordered the 12 packs. I saw the assortment package, if it were have been 2 each of every grit in the pack I would ordered that way. Oh well, I may offer up half of each of the packages to guys here who can use the 1x42 for what I have in them.

I certainly plan on modifying the platen, could you direct me to your favorite platen supplier?

Sometime ago I bought an adjustable rest from Lee Valley for, I will see if it were compatible with this sander.

These guys are the only ones that I know of that sell a 1" wide platen liner: https://usaknifemaker.com/ceramic-glass-platen-liner-for-flat-platen.html. You may have to modify your platen to accommodate the added thickness of the liner. Ask Jeff for advice on this.

Yeah, sorry but belts definitely do have a shelf life. Keep them in a cool place; heat makes the tape they use to join the ends dry and brittle.

I have that Lee Valley rest. Its a bit on the flimsy side but give it a try; it might just be the ticket for you.

And yeah, if Jeff can pop over to your place that would be awesome. Jeff is VERY GOOD at tool grinding and would be a really valuable resource for you while you learn this grinding stuff.

Nez, yeah we need to get together if for no other reason than to get better aquainted. I think I have your number and I’ll PM you mine. Maybe we can get together sometime this week or next.

I like the 13 grit... Not a type-o 13 grit... Hard to find but very fast removeo

I'd Ck the width on the pulleys to verify if it's 1" or 2" belts , the platen is wide by the picture. I'm guessing it's 2" not the 1" model.

Back