Kalamzoo 8CW - Filling Hydraulic Cylinder

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Recently the hydraulic cylinder on my 8CW stopped holding the head up. I have the parts and service manual, which says to keep the cylinder full of light oil. It fails to explain, however, how to do this. I find no obvious access ports. Can someone enlighten me?

Not sure what a 8CW is , but the cylinder has to have 2 ports somewhere . How is the oil moving to each end of the cylinder ? I take it the Kalamazoo is HBS now that I read it .

Yes, sorry, a horizontal bandsaw. Here's the diagram from the manual. It's all internal to the cylinder, nothing external.

1579417246361.png

Hard to see if the top head is threaded / removable , but what are the 8-32 flat heads doing . They look like they are shown as thru holes . Could they be intended as fill holes + a vent ?

Hard to see if the top head is threaded / removable , but what are the 8-32 flat heads doing . They look like they are shown as thru holes . Could they be intended as fill holes + a vent ?

You hit it on the head. The screws are short, like they are intended to keep the cap from rotating (it's threaded), but they do connect into the cylinder.
I made a micro funnel from a disposable eye-dropper and filled the cylinder with hydraulic oil. Took about 45 minutes, but it worked. I wonder how they intended for this to be done, surely not thru those little holes. I can hold my head up now.

WP_20200120_10_46_27_Pro[1].jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear it worked . :encourage:

Back