[4]

Kaleidoscope

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Bill Gruby

Registered
I searched for this but it must have been lost when things went sour. My daughter wants one so I have to build another. The one you see is 17 years old now. I gave it to my wife on our 25th wedding anniversary. It has no finish on it at all. Just sanded to 1500 grit paper. It took longer to sand than it did to build.

"Billy G" :))

kel 001 (700 x 525).jpg kel 002 (700 x 525).jpg kel 003 (700 x 525).jpg kel 004 (700 x 525).jpg kel 005 (700 x 525).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

7HC

Active User
Registered
Re: Keleidoscope

I searched for this but it must have been lost when things went sour. M daughter wants one so I have to build another. The one you see is 17 years old now. I gave it to my wife on our 25th wedding anniversary. It has no finish on it at all. Just sanded to 1500 grit paper. It took longer to sand than it did to build.

Nice work Bill, very nice! :thumbzup:

M

jgedde

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)

I searched for this but it must have been lost when things went sour. My daughter wants one so I have to build another. The one you see is 17 years old now. I gave it to my wife on our 25th wedding anniversary. It has no finish on it at all. Just sanded to 1500 grit paper. It took longer to sand than it did to build.

That thing is gorgeous, Bill! If you build another, take photos along the way. I'd love to see how it's done.

John

JLeather

Active User
Registered

Very nice. Do you have the plans for it? I'd love to try making one. Just got a very nice 11" Atlas wood lathe into the basement :)

DaveD

Active User
Registered
That reminds me of a brass signal cannon I saw recently. Wonder how it, the kaleidoscope, would look made totally of polished brass or stainless steel? Or a combination of the two? You could use a vibrator tumbler to polish everything.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
:man::drink::worship::thumbsup::high5:

Very nice work, you have the talent.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
After I do the one above for my Daughter, this one is next. The optics are weight driven. The only metal in it will be the mainspring and the winding shaft. No prints for this one are available to my knowledge.

"Billy G" :thinking:

photo_2.jpg photo_1.jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The storm yesterday did not keep me down. I spent the day at the drawing board. Time well spent. After quite a few hours and many changes this is where we are at. Now it's on to the barrel and optics.

kds (800 x 600).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It should be noted that the design I am copying is by J.R. Beall.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It has been a real challenge to reverse- engineer that Kaleidoscope. I am 80% finished at this point. I set a Dec. 1st deadline to complete them. The build should start on Dec.15. Here is the deal. If there is anyone wishing to build along with me I will make copies of my prints available to you. Just send me an address to get them to.

"Billy G"

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Hey Marine,

That thing is going to be totally awesome! I for one will be looking forward to seeing you do the build!

Doc

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank-you. As of now the only parts left to draw up are for the driving of the nose. I worked all day on the print of the chain drive. It's a done deal. Driving sprocket has 12 teeth. The upper driven sprocket has 18 teeth. It will be a 25 pitch wooden roller chain.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This was completed yeaterday (prints). #1 track run of the chain. #2 4X size of 25 pitch chain. It will be normal sizs whan fabricated. #3 2Z size sprockets #4 Reduces to normal. I am going to try different ratios to get slowest speed.

Today I'm taking a break and gonna watch what you guys are up to.

spd 001 (700 x 525).jpg spd 002 (700 x 525).jpg spd 003 (700 x 525).jpg spd 004 (700 x 525).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The prints are finished, all 31 sheets. Now to proof read them and correct any errors.

ranch23

Active User
Registered
Im glad you're in Connecticut. You have a lot of cool projects.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
All is OK with the prints. I need to get one more bearing and we can start. 3.00 OD X 2.500 ID X .250 W. They are easy to get. Should be able to dtart next week.

"Billy G"

dickr

Active User
Registered
The kaleidoscope is a beautiful piece of work. What type of wood is it made of? Will you change any of it in the next one? You've got the patience of Job to do the reverse engineering on the next one. Seems you don't have a preference between wood and metal. Your projects always have a professional and artistic appearance.
dickr

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Dick -- The one I made for my wife is Cherry and Maple. The new one is undecided but I am leaning toward Claro Walnut. Thank you for the compliments.

My buddy Eric says to go with Stainless Steel and Brass with an Aluminum Tripod.

PurpLev

Active User
Registered
wow, that is a remarkable piece, far nicer than the one in the plans link... I want to make one !

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
The stainless with brass accents does sound like a cool idea, that way the one that your trying to copy and yours would still be very unique!

Doc

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
22 pages of pix and prints. They are full scale and ready to use by me. They are not dimensioned yet as I don't need them that way.

kpix 001 (750 x 563).jpg kpix 002 (750 x 563).jpg

PurpLev

Active User
Registered
thats quite a bit of work. nicely done. did you set yourself a deadline for completing the project?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Don't think a deadline can be placed on this project. There is some dark territory here where I have never been. Thanx for the compliment.

PurpLev

Active User
Registered
what did you do the drawings on? paper and pencil? or any CAD program?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Both. Mostly paper and pencil though. I don't particularly care for CAD. It was kinda fun though. I used one at a friends home to generate the sprockets. I don't recall what the program was.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Gears will be cut soon. To keep it simple the bevel gears will have 20 teeth. This makes it a job using the Dividing Head. You can use any index circle and two full turns. Dividing Heads have a 40:1 ratio. I also have an involute cutter, a B&S #6, 20 DP, 17 - 20 teeth.

"Billy G" :hi:

Kevin45

Active User
Registered
Very nice. I'd love to try my hand at making one of those. How much would you want for a set of prints?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
When done the prints will be available to you guys for a very small fee with an r added after the f.

"Billy G" :lmao:

[5] [7]