KDK No 00 Tool-post Holder

GraySmith

Registered
Registered
HI all,

I bought myself a set of KDK tools including a quick-release toolpost-holder and tool holders No 1 - No 6. The set included a riser block, J-chuck, miscellaneous 1/4" HS tool bits and 2 cut-off blades. These sized KDK tools have become scarce and hard to find at any reasonable price.

There is some spot and localized surface rust on some of the holders. It appears the set may have been parkerized when new, but it is hard to completely be sure. I'm tending toward sanding the rust away, but if these were parkerized, then it will be necessary to redo the Parkerizing.

I've looked on the net for images of the No. 00 KDK tools, but haven't found anything definite. Does anyone have some decent photos of the KDK No 00 tools or have an older KDK catalog showing these tools?

Regards,

Gray

Toolpost Holder.jpg

Holder No 1.jpg

Last edited:
Parkerising may not be what was done to them; more likely a tool black process.

I would think they made the same tool holders for all the different sizes. I have an old FIMS tool post on my lathe, and while I had a couple tool holders for it, I'm always looking thru Ebay for any size FIMS, just to give me an idea of the types they made so I can duplicate them for myself. So far I've made a radius cutter, a knurl holder, and some bigger channeled holders for larger tools. KDK was a pretty hefty and popular tool post in its' time, so there are quite a few of them out there, the hard part is finding some for that size.

I would think they made the same tool holders for all the different sizes. I have an old FIMS tool post on my lathe, and while I had a couple tool holders for it, I'm always looking thru Ebay for any size FIMS, just to give me an idea of the types they made so I can duplicate them for myself. So far I've made a radius cutter, a knurl holder, and some bigger channeled holders for larger tools. KDK was a pretty hefty and popular tool post in its' time, so there are quite a few of them out there, the hard part is finding some for that size.
This toolpost holder looks older than others on the net. The phone number on this holder is old-school, whereas the photos on the net show modern phone numbers.

I would first soak it in Evapo-Rust to remove the rust, and then scrub it with a soft nylon brush and water to get the debris off, then dry and oil it. See what it looks like then. It may be completely satisfactory. If not, go on to plan B.

Tool black, Parkerizing, basically the same, processing is a little different.

I had a brand new basic set of holders and the tool post at one time. Wish I had kept it. It definitely had the tool black process done to the tools. And they did a nice job at it too.

I tried lapping a holder with course grit on my small cast-iron lapping plate, but was only able to remove the black finish. After the lapping, closer examination of the damage appears to show the damage was not caused by rust but by acid. An acid was apparently spilled and caused some damage to one side of each of the holders. The acid penetrated to uneven depths and was localized on small areas on one side of each tool holder.

I don't trust the cheap fly cutter I use on aluminum with my BP clone, so on the No. 003 tool holder used my Jet 1" belt sander to remove enough material from the entire side of the holder deep enough to eliminate the acid pocket, then I hand lapped using course and then fine grit. The result was decent, but the part is not measuring the same width evenly across the part. Lesson learned - NEVER roll the part when removing from the belt sander.

KDK no3.jpg

Back