[Newbie] Keep it or sell it?

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everybody I need your help. About a year ago I acquired an Alexander 2CGD “D Bit” Cutter Grinder (allots an exact match to a Decker SO). I had in my head that it was used to sharpen milling cutters; out of ignorance. I soon learned that it isn’t. This past week I happened across a deal that I couldn’t pass up and acquired a Toycen Cuttermaster Journeyman DC tool and cutter grinder with air bearing attachment, and radius/bull nose attachment. Along with it I picked up a Harig Steptool and a Grindall No. 1. Pics of it all are attached. The Grindall is a pic from eBay because I don’t have one of my Grindall on my iPad.

I believe I have achieved an ability to sharpen almost any tool in my basement hobby shop. My question then is this. Is there any reason to keep the Alexander? I guess I really don’t understand what the Alexander is for. A couple friends have told me things that I can do with it but I don’t see how or why. Is this a tool that a basement shop guy will use? I will certainly be able to get what I have invested back out of it but I don’t “need” to sell it. Should I sell or keep it and why?

I appreciate every bit of input that anyone wants to throw at me. Thanks to you all for your thoughts.

Derek.
a985439db2bc093c76741f56af3e3614.jpg
6fedb7e462cbd424a24a6b39aae04bda.jpg
e5aa81b0a0025bf9c288fd3fea5af217.jpg
a565dd3d407a51e7032413f1b5559cd5.jpg
0d2178ac70289b2da9c08f6f8fe443cb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you ever plan to sharpen engraving cutters, the Alexander is just the thing to have, it is very similar to the Gorton model 500, which will sharpen conical engraving points of the "D" type, also radiused end points.

I have a import version of the Alexander except it has an R8 head on it. The R8 makes my Deckel style be able to sharpen my endmills because for me it was about the size collets, not the function of the machine. It can be a little involved to figure out but so far I've been able to sharpen all sizes of end mills and even do the flutes.

I don't see the kind of attachment that can hold the cutters at the different angles like the Deckel can. Does the cutter master grinder itself do the different angles? I'll admit I don't know much about that style.

I have a import version of the Alexander except it has an R8 head on it. The R8 makes my Deckel style be able to sharpen my endmills because for me it was about the size collets, not the function of the machine. It can be a little involved to figure out but so far I've been able to sharpen all sizes of end mills and even do the flutes.

I don't see the kind of attachment that can hold the cutters at the different angles like the Deckel can. Does the cutter master grinder itself do the different angles? I'll admit I don't know much about that style.

The Cuttermaster has an air bearing attachment that will sharpen the ends and the flutes both primary and secondary bevels of milling cutters, drill bits etc. As far as sharpening goes the cutter master is a $9500 (yes 9.5K) setup and will sharpen anything. The attachment will do 3 axis holding and the grinding head is also 3 axis making any angle and any approach possible.

Thanks for the input.

So far the Alexander is on its way.....

If you ever plan to sharpen engraving cutters, the Alexander is just the thing to have, it is very similar to the Gorton model 500, which will sharpen conical engraving points of the "D" type, also radiused end points.

The Cuttermaster with the radius attachment will sharpen/grind any radius. I don’t have an engraver, and I cannot see any reason to have one; do people do that much engraving?

So far the Alexander is wasting precious space....

Yeah, if you are not doing engraving I don't see needing the Alexander.

Allow me to rephrase. What percentage of home shop machinists have engraving machines and actively do enough engraving to warrant having a machine specifically designed to sharpen engraving tools......? lol.

The deckel s0 - style grinders can actually do lots of stuff. The primary use would probably be to grind d-bit type cutters and most lathe tools. You can quickly grind all sides of a common turning tool and also quite precise radii. These grinders can be very versatile with a few attachments and creative thinking and they are quick to set up and use, that said your new machine probably does everything the s0-clone does.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Finally, somebody understands how limited the Alexander and the like really is. I keep reading how great it is and I just scratch my head. I have one. Would I sell it, NO! It does have a niche. And I like being prepared for all Hobby Shop challenges. I also have a Gorton pantograph, but that’s besides the point…Dave

Back