[4]

Keep Your Fingers Clear of the Angle Grinder (Warning - Pic Included)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

kevinpg

Active User
Registered
Errrmmmm....YIKES!!
lol, so about a year later, I was working on a job around DeSoto, Kansas and I was grinding beads behind the pipe gang and before the hot pass crew. A journeyman friend kept working on me, was bugged when he bragged he always went commando and I said 'no way I would ever do that!'. For weeks he extolled the virtues of going commando - the freedom, the comfort. One day, I decided to try it, quietly. So off I go and about 2 hours into the job, I am grinding between 2 and 5 o'clock on the pipe, squatted down and going to town when I smelled hair burning., Looking down, I was bathed in a shower of sparks and slag because the entire crotch of my pants blew leaving me in the breeze, or shower, as it were. I stopped and ran back to a rig, grabbed a roll of duct tape and taped up the crotch, inside and out. Made it another 10 hours on the job, we were working 6-12s. but taking off the ruined jeans that night was an experience, all the remaining hair sealed tightly to the tape, I was bare. First and last time I ever went commando.

KBeitz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I had a 6" cut off wheel separate at the bolt hole. The wheel hovered in
my face before flying off into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again.
Looked like a Frisbee ...

kevinpg

Active User
Registered
I had a 6" cut off wheel separate at the bolt hole. The wheel hovered in
my face before flying off into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again.
Looked like a Frisbee ...
Yeah, the only scar I have from my pipelining days is from 9" 'Pacific Bay grinding disk attached to a Milwaukee 10K RPM hand held grinder. (I really do not like the Milwaukee grinder). I was on a job around June 19,1978 outside Port Huron MI. The Pacific Bay was a cheap knockoff the contractor was using instead of Bay State Gold disks. Disk shattered when it hit a weld bump on the bottom of the 26' .380 wall pipe. Standard non OSHA approved pipeline procedure. No guards on the grinder, holding by the head instead of a handle but I was wearing my welders cap, dark green safety glasses and a face shield. Nevertheless, the kickback send the grinder through the face shield, severed the glasses between my eyes and hit my head with a wallop. I still had the grinder in my hands, and used a finger brake to stop the disk - power off leather finger pressed in to the wheel hub and yes, it burns to do that.

My shield was somewhere, my safety glasses were in half, hanging from each ear and when I stood up, severe pain in my right eyebrow. Naturally I pressed my hand to it and my eyes just filled with red as the blood ran in my eyes and my khaki shirt was soaked. I started to the welding rig to look in the side mirror. Someone yelled to stop me cause if I saw it, I would go into shock. LSS - pipe man drove me 50 miles to the nearest ER and the doctor stitched it up inside and outside he used a bunch of tiny stitches and never once gave a local anesthetic for the pain. I was later told that was on purpose due to the head injury and risk of scarring. Still, the fix was worse than the hit.

Needless to say, I have a healthy respect for fast spinning objects. they scare the crap out of me.

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
This happened a few months ago while I was doing some precision grinding with my angle grinder. When it happened I felt it right away but still had the grinder running and couldn't drop it. I had to shut it off and put it down safely, instead of throwing it aside. Then quickly go and clean all the crap out before the pain started. I contemplated going to see the doc but opted not to. I was concerned that it might not heal well since there was a bit of flesh missing and the white thing in the cut looked like it might be a nerve that could end up healing itself to the skin and that might be a long term issue with sensitivity. In the end it turned out fine although there is some sensitivity when it gets cold.

View attachment 246700
Holy crap! I did the same thing on the same finger. I have started wearing abrasion resistant gloves since then....well, sometimes. So painful, New found respect for flap discs.

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
This happened a few months ago while I was doing some precision grinding with my angle grinder. When it happened I felt it right away but still had the grinder running and couldn't drop it. I had to shut it off and put it down safely, instead of throwing it aside. Then quickly go and clean all the crap out before the pain started. I contemplated going to see the doc but opted not to. I was concerned that it might not heal well since there was a bit of flesh missing and the white thing in the cut looked like it might be a nerve that could end up healing itself to the skin and that might be a long term issue with sensitivity. In the end it turned out fine although there is some sensitivity when it gets cold.

View attachment 246700

That reminds me of getting a similar notch in my little finger from a '50's vintage electric planer. Needed stitches & some numbness after 20+ years.

jcp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Me too......
IMG_0221.JPGIMG_0222.JPG

wife sewed it up....

plunger

Registered
Lost one finger allready in motorcycle accident (caused by car driver), don't want to lose another, but happens to all of us.Welcome to the club.I think the white part is the tip of the bone. Good luck. Just watch out for infection.
Well then you and me have more in common than just coming from darkest africa.I can also count in halves

plunger

Registered
My nose picking finger ,the left one. index:) I was rebuilding a v6 in a combi and rushing and the motor fell on my hand and took it clean off when the jack slipped.

Suzuki4evr

Brass
Registered
My nose picking finger ,the left one. index:) I was rebuilding a v6 in a combi and rushing and the motor fell on my hand and took it clean off when the jack slipped.
:laughing:mine too. Go left..go left. But mine is a bit worse off actually. I think you have 26 bones in your hand and I broke 20. The doctors had to replace the bones when they operated and wanted infact to amputate. But God is good for me and I can still work with it.

plunger

Registered
I lost the first knuckle and it took a very ,very long time to get used to it.Luckily my mother forced me to write with my right hand at a young age but I would still draw (very badly)with my left hand. I am pretty ambidextrous.That must have been a bad accident. Glad you have mobility again.

Suzuki4evr

Brass
Registered
I lost the first knuckle and it took a very ,very long time to get used to it.Luckily my mother forced me to write with my right hand at a young age but I would still draw (very badly)with my left hand. I am pretty ambidextrous.That must have been a bad accident. Glad you have mobility again.
This is a bit of topic but yes I had a huge accident in 2009. A car turned in front of my motorcycle. I broke my hip,pelvis,wrist and my hand was crushed. Nothing happened to my back or head,although my hea wasn't right to begin with. I spent 3 months in hospital with 13 operations later. I must still get a hip replacement and knee replacement in the near future. It was a year and a half of rehab and learning to walk again. My hand took very long and I only have about 50% use. My wife was my biggest help and support. I could not have done it without her. I had to quit my job because the doctor said I can't work anymore. So I bought my lathe and started working from home. And now I work harder than before. I still have a lot of pain every day and walk kinda like I step in a hole every second step,but I am blessed and happy to be alive and able to work.

Suzuki4evr

Brass
Registered
I forgot to say that I also broke my knee and leg very badly. My leg was pointed in the wrong direction next to me.

plunger

Registered
Eina .There are easier ways of cleaning your knee. I often use a nine inch grinder with a steel brush. These pics make you realize its important to be alert.

plunger

Registered
I forgot to say that I also broke my knee and leg very badly. My leg was pointed in the wrong direction next to me.
Eish.Thats bad. You have a very positive outlook to life.Have you found the transition to machining a long learning curve.?I have to be the worlds oldest newbee when it comes to this hobby.

Suzuki4evr

Brass
Registered
Not at all. I am an automotive machinst by trade and worked the lathe and mill almost every day as well

plunger

Registered
Not at all. I am an automotive machinst by trade and worked the lathe and mill almost every day as well
I qualified in 1988 as a tool jig and die maker at Oliefantsfontein.Left after six months. I couldnt stand polishing and filing.I pretty much forgot everything I learnt when I started as a hobbiest.Thats why forums like this are so valuable.

Suzuki4evr

Brass
Registered
Eina .There are easier ways of cleaning your knee. I often use a nine inch grinder with a steel brush. These pics make you realize its important to be alert.
I like that you used "eina" in your post. I was but a wee boy of 11 years old in 88'.

hermetic

Active User
Registered
OUCH!!!!! that looks painfull
Actually, it wasnt! I have had small cuts on fingers that have hurt, and bled much more than this did, the Nusre said this will sting a lot, as she clapped a huge iodine soaked pad on it, but didnt feel it. the whole episode was virtualy pain free, the biggest pain was the 4 weeks it took me to get back to work, and the two weeks spent hobbling around with a full length soft leg splint on! I swore at myself for being so stupid for the entire 13 mile journey to Aand E. Take what I said about 9 inch grinders in though! most are over 1hp and if they kick off of an edge, you have no chance of stopping them!

plunger

Registered
Actually, it wasnt! I have had small cuts on fingers that have hurt, and bled much more than this did, the Nusre said this will sting a lot, as she clapped a huge iodine soaked pad on it, but didnt feel it. the whole episode was virtualy pain free, the biggest pain was the 4 weeks it took me to get back to work, and the two weeks spent hobbling around with a full length soft leg splint on! I swore at myself for being so stupid for the entire 13 mile journey to Aand E. Take what I said about 9 inch grinders in though! most are over 1hp and if they kick off of an edge, you have no chance of stopping them!
The other day I was trying to remove a diamond cutting disc of my thirty year old baby bosch grinder. I was holding the blade in my left hand and the locking button with my right hand when I bumbed my trigger happy switch and the machine switched on. I managed to stall the machine but if the machine was newer or if I was holding less hard I might be sitting here with many more fingers than the nine and a half I have now.Lucky and stupid.
The same grinder caused me grief when I placed it on a brand new granite top . I plugged the extension on not realizing the switch had been bumbed on. It bounced all over the granite top and I had to pay for a new one.

I am terrified of my baby grinder and keep having to remind my staff how dangerous it is. The baby grinders are a bad design . My big grinder is much safer in terms of the switch.

Toolmaker51

Registered
Blood? Sprinkle or dip into black pepper, really.
Unlike salt [water soluble] pepper is an oil base. No burning sensation and pepper stops bleeding very fast, working as coagulant.

[5] [7]