Keep Your Fingers Clear of the Angle Grinder (Warning - Pic Included)

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
This happened a few months ago while I was doing some precision grinding with my angle grinder. When it happened I felt it right away but still had the grinder running and couldn't drop it. I had to shut it off and put it down safely, instead of throwing it aside. Then quickly go and clean all the crap out before the pain started. I contemplated going to see the doc but opted not to. I was concerned that it might not heal well since there was a bit of flesh missing and the white thing in the cut looked like it might be a nerve that could end up healing itself to the skin and that might be a long term issue with sensitivity. In the end it turned out fine although there is some sensitivity when it gets cold.

1510533958153.png

Woooo doggies! That is an impressive wound. My luck, I would have grabbed a rag to wrap it just as I realize that it is soaked with paint thinner. I can't like the picture but I thank you for the warning.

Welcome to the club :cupcake: ouch ouch ouch
ps I had my angle grinder lose the wheel which then ran across the yard- away from me fortunately
Mark

Last edited:
Lost one finger allready in motorcycle accident (caused by car driver), don't want to lose another, but happens to all of us.Welcome to the club.I think the white part is the tip of the bone. Good luck. Just watch out for infection.

Occupational hazzard for some, personally I never use an angle grinder without leather gloves on, my preference is good quality Riggers gloves and I buy on the small side then break in the same way the Army taught with boots which is soak in water over night then rub Vasoline into hands and pull on gloves and wear till dry. Planned gardening is good for the drying as the gloves get stretched every which way and end up a perfect fit.

I've been bitten a couple of times by angle grinders. Now I wear leather gloves whenever I use one. Whenever it bites the leather glove, I smile and know it would have hurt without them. Same thing on my power wire brush wheels. They don't dig as deep, but they hurt just as bad. I buy the cheap Harbor Freight leather work gloves, so there are 10 pair laying around the shop wherever I might need them.

Glad there was no long term damage.

GG

Been there, done that. It always seems to happen when you are in a hurry. When I picked up my drill press, I cut open the package that the tiedowns were in, and got myself real bad in the hand. Just wrapped a rag around it, and kept working. After we were on the highway heading home, I aske the wife to clean it for me, Man was she ******. It was big enough that it should have had stiches, but I had a good five hour drive ahead of me, so a cleaning, and clean rag, and duct tape was all it got. Still has a fair scar, but a lot better then I thought it would turn out.

Life goes on.

Back