Kennametal CNMG Inserts from China???

Kennametal has had some serious environmental/public health scrutiny at their manufacturing plants here in the states. I am not in the least bit surprised that they'd hire an offshore manufacturer to do the work somewhere less expensive. That's what businesses do.

Um, am I missing something here, or do you guys believe that the stuff coming out of China today is typically as good as the
products produced in the past by US manufacturers?

Short answer, YES. At least in the semiconductor industry. The factory I was part of in Tianjin has better or equal to equipment as any factory. The quality is better than most factories of equal technology.

does this mean I can expect a 20% increase in price next month given the new tariffs?

Short answer, YES. At least in the semiconductor industry. The factory I was part of in Tianjin has better or equal to equipment as any factory. The quality is better than most factories of equal technology.

I think the point I was trying to make is that a lot of US manufacturers
have, as part of the process of moving to offshore manufacturing, also allowed the quality of their products to decline. This is not the
fault of the Chinese, but rather a consequence of either deliberate or inadvertent decision making at US companies.
But the number of posts on this forum comparing Chinese tools with older USA made tools is an indication that
the quality of their products is, let's just say, variable. I'm aware that the Chinese can make high quality products when they choose to.

Kennametal has had some serious environmental/public health scrutiny at their manufacturing plants here in the states.

Yes, the cobalt binder used in inserts is pretty nasty stuff.it's not at all surprising that they moved production someplace with lax environmental controls.

Considering Kennametal's prices and weird proprietary form factors, this doesn't make me any more inclined to buy their inserts.

For high-end inserts, I've typically been getting Iscar, after a recommendation by Tom Lipton, and been very happy.

Regarding Asian quality, I agree with, Nogoingback, It's variable.
If you gamble and win...

Back