[Source] Kennedy Machinist Boxes

Was looking into adding another large machinist box w/lower unit to my shop. A bit confused by the current prices. I also checked prices on used/EBAY. It "appears" that ENCO is selling Kennedy brand tool chests at much lower prices than the others...not much above used/EBAY??? Are Kennedy boxes now manufactured overseas?

Yes, they are.
And I think Gerstner has two types- import (less dough) and American.
I don't know anything about the differences in quality.

I have 4 or 5 used Kennedy's I bought on Ebay- the old American ones. Paid under $100.

I have 2 of the kind where both sides open (the dutch roof ones) that I use for tools. They work awesome.

I have 2 of the machinist kind with the large open top compartment and smaller compartments.

I have one of the larger ones with the handles on the sides.

All old USA and all bought on Ebay less than $100.

You can also sometimes get them cheap on Craig's- you have to keep an eye out for them.

Nelson

They're not made overseas. This is from Kennedy's site:

Throughout, we have remained committed to building the highest quality American made product possible. We take great pride in the fact that Kennedy branded products are still to this day being manufactured in Van Wert, Ohio

Very interesting reading here, thanks to all. I missed by about a minute last year, a small Kennedy machinist box at an estate sale that had brass latches and end handles. Any ideas as to its age? It's the only one with brass I've seen, and the purchaser was nice in letting me admire it for a while.

As much as what these fine boxes cost new,finding an old one is worth restoring.But I went to Kennedys website for some paint and 40.00 for 11oz????I may paint them black,ouch---kroll
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10515-Kennedy-Tool-Boxes

Back around summer of 2000 or 01, was on the way to Minster, OH for training seminar at Minster Press and we stopped at the Kennedy factory outlet in Van Wert, OH. They had a museum of very box they had ever made along with factory seconds for sale.

At that time they had cans of touchup paint for sale as well – did not have the Kennedy label on them. I bought one and I think it was around $4. If memory serves me correctly, it was a rust-oleum paint. I’m sure they just change the label? The boys at work used it right up.

I have purchased several Kennedy Toolboxes and bases from Enco in the last year and a half and they all have been made in America
For what it’s worth, I get special pricing from MSC and free shipping and they would not even come close on the Kennedy prices their sister company Enco has to offer, even last month when I purchased another base that was shipped from a MSC warehouses. Always looking for the best price, sometimes it’s one place and other times it’s another.

Was looking into adding another large machinist box w/lower unit to my shop. A bit confused by the current prices. I also checked prices on used/EBAY. It "appears" that ENCO is selling Kennedy brand tool chests at much lower prices than the others...not much above used/EBAY??? Are Kennedy boxes now manufactured overseas?

I have several Kennedys that I've restored to various degrees. The newer ones have cheaper drawer slides that don't fit as well as the older ones. You have to gently lift the drawers to get them to fully slide in.

I bought a Kennedy earlier this year at an antique shop. Was glad to find it after 2 days of doilies & china dolls. Seems furniture & hardware are not as available as in times past at the antique places.
Got it for $45.
20170625_063524776.jpg 20170625_064753743.jpg
I'd like a toolbox where the tallest drawer is 3/4" - the rest at 1/2" tall.

Back