[4]

Key in chuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cascao

Active User
Registered
When I first bought my lathe, I've made this device afraid of letting the key in chuck.

As a side effect, it becomes very convenient when I finish a part I just grab the key (to remove part) and lathe stop.

magicniner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Nice idea, I still rely on the nut holding the wheels though ;-)

petcnc

Active User
Registered
When I first bought my lathe, I've made this device afraid of letting the key in chuck.

As a side effect, it becomes very convenient when I finish a part I just grab the key (to remove part) and lathe stop.
Very clever and safe! Well done!
Petros

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
Good thinking Cascao, one can never be too safe.

I made a similar thing for my Atlas, it works just the same except the weight of the key depresses a lever on a 230v 3-15 amp microswitch.

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0914.jpg

Bernard

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Silly me; I just remember to NEVER leave the key in the chuck, that was one of the first things we were taught in high school machine shop class.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I threw a key once, long time ago. No damage except to my ego and my shorts. It will never happen again...

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
I've never left a key in a chuck, same way as I've never used a lathe wearing gloves or long sleeves, those habits have been automatic for years.

But the other day I needed to quickly make a one off adapter for a bearing puller, it was only after I'd finished it that I realised that I was still wearing the Maxiflex gloves I use for dirty work, and hadn't rolled up my sleeves! :eek 2:

How on earth did that happen??

I'm happier knowing the key is fail safe.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Very clever idea. I like it. Keys in the chuck or wrenches on the mill drawbar......I'm still working on it. Like I said...I really like your solution.

[6]
[5] [7]