Key Slot On R8 Collets...?

I also removed the blasted pin on the mill at work. No trouble with any R8 collet ever spinning. We were careful to keep OIL out of the hole!!

I had gotten a used right angle attachment for the mill,and it had a very worn R8 shank on it. The pin had worn into the R8 shank sideways quite a bit. About 3/8" ,if I recall,before we ever got the unit. Well,the right angle head got royally stuck since the pin was way to the side of the groove. It could not be gotten loose!!

After we finally DID get it loose,I took the pesky pin out,and never regretted it.

I could care less about the key way on a R8 collet or arbor. I removed that stupid R8 pin on my mill. Tool/collet changes are so much quicker now. Spinning the taper is not a concern or problem for me.
My Rockwell vertical mill and my early 80s mill/drill, never had the pin to begin with.

This thread has reminded me that I need to remove the pin in my spindle. It's been buggered up ever since I got the machine and I curse it every time I change collets. Useless as neuticles.

Back