Keyway alternatives for securing motor pulley

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I have got a motor pulley that I have had to make an adapter for to mount to a motor. The motor shaft has a keyway and the pulley had a keyway. I had to turn down the motor shaft from 1 1/8" to 15/16" because the pulley shaft was 1". The motor shaft would only fit 1" down into the pulley so I had to extend the shaft to 3.75". I opened the pulley diameter, which was originally 1", to 1.3" and could open it up about 1/8" more.
So I have got the adapter fitted snuggly to the motor shaft. I am going to attach the adapter to the motor then chuck it up and turn the adapter down to fit the pulley. The pulley is 4 step with the largest being approximately 11".
So the question - will drilling and pinning the pulley and adapter to the motor shaft in 2 places 90 degrees apart be satisfactory to hold it all together. The pin diameter would be 1/4". I would also use red loctite but I am not sure if it is necessary. I could tack weld the pins in place also. The motor will drive the pulley at up to 5000rpm (inverter vector motor) on my Gorton mill.
I don't think I am asking this all correctly so I am open to suggestions. The big question is the balance of the pulley, motor shaft, and adapter. I searched and didn't come up with much and neither did looking it up in the Machinery Handbook.
I am susceptible to overthinking things so any suggestions are appreciated!

OR I could thread the stick out from the pulley end and bolt that up?

Last edited:

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Instead of ordinary pins, I use threaded pins in tapped holes.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Tapered bushings grip firmly enough that a key may not be needed. The pulley would need to have a tapered bore but that wouldn't be too dificultto machine.

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
I am thinking of fastening the pulley to the motor in this way. The bolt will be grade 8 and loctited in place. The shaft extension is near press fit on both the pulley and motor shaft. The extension was fit to the motor shaft first. Then I chucked the motor into the lathe and turned the extension to fit the pulley to eliminate as much wobble or runout as I could. I think maybe a pin or threaded pin through the motor shaft and extension and another through the extension and pulley after it is assembled. Or is that necessary?
2020-07-01 16.01.37.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock