keyway broaching set

fernballan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need keyway broaching set have looked a bit on ebay and find this one HASSAY SAVAGE CO
Does anyone have any experience with this brand? or have any suggestions

That's a name brand. DuMont I another. I have 3 or 4 DuMont sets, no issues. Also have an import 00 set which is ok.

Bruce

That's a name brand. DuMont I another. I have 3 or 4 DuMont sets, no issues. Also have an import 00 set which is ok.

Bruce
I think I'll order a piece from China at first.
I will not do so many keyway jobs I think

For a home shop machinist is probably makes sense to just buy the one you need for the job. You can even make the bushing needed for the one time job. Unless you see yourself being a job shop in the future, or doing lots of pulley and sheave work. Over time, a good deal on a used set may come along. That is my strategy, anyway...

Probably best if you have just one task. I bought the Dumont sets at an auction for a good price. Have a couple of #00's, #10 and whatever the number is for the metric set. Bought the import #00 set first and used it once for making a replacement handle for an Atlas 7B shaper. I've used other loose broaches for projects and had to make bushings too. The Dumont sets I bought at auction only had one or two broaches/bushings used which tells me the shop bought the set for a specific job. Would have been cheaper for them to take your approach.

Bruce

Back