Killer Noga Deal

I don't think it's a big market in AK.
Maybe not, however ignoring potential markets is one reason businesses fail.

AK is loaded with guns, ATVs, snowmobiles, boats, off road RVs, and other sport/recreational things of all types.
Some of the people live in the boondocks and Mail delivery works well for them.
I'll bet there are plenty of home shop guys and galls that would be attracted by super low shipping costs (along with good prices). YMMV

Because there are other methods that can be chosen. Maybe you could right some software and peddle it that can predict were people live before they put in their address and only allow them to select one kind of shipping even though you have many products that are bigger than a flat rate box.

Its not that they are ignorant, its that businesses don't want to the hassle of dealing with people that think they are not and dont understand the big picture intricacies of shipping to Alaska.
Well, aren't we the expert! For your info, I got the "we don't ship to your location" AFTER entering my address. I get the big picture and all that. And I've encountered several businesses that were indeed ignorant of the fact that Flat Rate shipping is the same for all 50 states, and once enlightened gladly shipped me product. Enjoy your ride on the high horse.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I did a little research regarding the shipping rate issue.

As I said before, my package was shipped via Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A (NOT Flat Rate).
It was shipped from Huntington Beach, CA, 92649.

I assumed the box weighed 5 pounds and checked the retail rate for that box/weight. Retail postage for the box is $8.38.

For the same box/weight from same zip code to Anchorage (99501), retail postage is $13.54

$13.54 - $8.38 = $5.16 more postage to Anchorage.

I don't know how many fulfillment centers All Industrial has, but their Contact phone number is consistent with Huntington Beach (area code 714), so maybe only one.

I read their Free Shipping Over $75 policy and it says ". . . contiguous 48 United States and does not include AK, HI . . .". That is a burn for Jeff and others.

If I had the problem, I might start trying to communicate with the supplier about the opportunity/market they are underserving. After all, like Jeff said, if an order would ship in a FRB regardless, it's no extra cost to send it to AK or HI.

Jeff,
Are there any out-of-state industrial suppliers that have very attractive (low $ or free) shipping policies to AK?
Thanks for clarifying the shipping method. There are a few vendors who don't mind using flat rate mail, and that's who generally gets my business. Just frustrating at times. We now have a great freight forwarding service in Tacoma that handles heavy/oversize items at a reasonable rate.

I got two of these Noga stands, because of this thread, and am impressed with the ease of adjustment of the arm, so much easier to release and lock than most of my other collection of cheapo stands. The screw positioner at the base is a great feature too.

I have a bunch of different indicators and holders, and for recurring type tasks there's usually one configuration that works best. The "optimization" that this approach allows is what makes it a hobby rather than a personality disorder. :)

Indicators.jpg

Could somebody remind me why these pictures are rotated from original and how to correct this once posted?
Thanks.

When I had a real job I had to rotate iPhone photos I had taken 180 degrees to make Windoz happy

What’s funny is the photos are all taken with the button on the right side of the frame, and look good on my end.

Back