mack318

Registered
Registered
I need a drill chuck that closes completely at the center. most chucks leave about 3/32 opening. I'm trying to chuck wire into it for straightening, using a hand drill.

I have looked at using Collete's or some other technique, or maybe using a dremel but ideally i would have some kind of smaller chuck with a shaft that could be clamped in the regular hand drill that way.

Ive searched around the internet, but I'm not sure if there is some special name for that type of chuck, so maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

I've checked Lows, Home Depot and Ace Hardware, with no luck. and I don't want to pay to ship something, that will not work. Tons of different chucks out there, but everything i've looked at so far has the same gap in the middle.

thanks for any help or ideas

I've straightened wire using a piece of 1/4" rod in which a hole was drilled to fit the wire. I chucked the rod in the drill chuck, twisted the wire into the hole in the rod and away I went. Might this work for you?

I have a jacobs look alike chuck (maybe a rohne) that the jaws compleatly close down on.

Other than that I use pin vices held in a bigger chuck's for small drill bits.

The little drill bits with the bigger shanks are very handy for holding too.

Stuart

It have an itsy bitsy drill chuck on a spring loaded 1/2" shank. Does #60 to 1/8". The spring load lets you use your fingers to fine feed the drill. Very handy tool. I think it was about $75 from Enco.

EDIT
found it on page 479

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=479&PMCTLG=00

My, how prices have raised.

Last edited:
Further down on Page 479 (see Karl_T's post) you'll find "Enco Economy & Precision Drill Chucks." Click on 220-1012. It goes down to zero, and is just $9.14 + shipping. Note it has a JT33 arbor hole. You can search Enco for a 1/2" or 3/8" straight JT33 arbor

-or-

go to CDCO,
http://www.cdcotools.com/
search for "drill chuck" and scroll down to their "Drill Chuck Shanks Straight." Part number 21303 is 1/2" to J33, $4.00.
Screen shot 2015-08-30 at 8.32.40 PM.jpg
As an alternative, you can get their keyless chuck, part number 25010, 0" to 1/4", J1 (JT1), $19.00 -and- part number 21300, J1 to 1/2" straight shank, $4.00.
Screen shot 2015-08-30 at 8.32.57 PM.jpg

Back