Kirloskar

Gfrost

Registered
Registered
00J0J_gsRsHklV8wX_600x450.jpg

What can anyone tell me about Kirloskar lathes??? Add says made in India and that parts are still available.
He is asking $2700?? Has both 3 & 4 jaw chucks, steady rest and some other tooling, he also has a three phase converter available but not included.

Gary

Looks like a well made machine. Good solid pedestals. Kirloskar seem to be more of an industrial machine manufacturer rather than hobby stuff so depending on condition/wear/tooling included etc it may be a good buy. Hard to give an appraisal from photo. What swing/length is it? Chucks look a little on the small side for whatever it is. Is it convenient to you to look at?

Cheers Phil

12x36, the add says 12.25x39.4, and yes it is convenient to go look at, about an hour away!

I was hoping to find something around $1500, but it is looking like that may not be realistic in my area for something that won't become "the hobby".
I'm gonna see if I can go and take a look at it, maybe tomorrow!

Standard watch for bed wear, spindle bearings, and missing gear teeth in quick change and others.
Does she turn metric and standard?
Parts available?
Tool posts and holders?
Can you safely move her?
Is the copper to your shop enough to power her?

An internet search brings up lots of stuff, including threads in other machinist forums.
You may want to look through those threads for their perspective.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

Thank you for the reply!

From what the add says parts are available from India? I have done a quick search online for parts etc. but didn't get to involved looking.
Pretty much it is going to have to be pretty perfect at $2700 for me to buy it, in fact I will want them to include the phase converter at that price.
For another $600 I could probably get into a Grizzly, delivered!! Piece of mind is a valuable thing!! Actually as I write this I am thinking $2000 or no go!

Gary

What is with the coffee can? Tumbling rocks?

It looks like a nice lathe. If it is complete and not much wear and no broken parts then I would not worry about spare parts availability.

It looks like a seam around the top of the headstock. If so see if the seller will allow you to pull the top and look at all of the gears to see if any are missing teeth. I have a Cincinnati Tray-Top lathe of similar size that has no issues but the Cincinnati Tray-Top lathes have narrow gears and are known to break teeth because the gears are so thin.

I assume it is a three phase lathe in which case an RPC will be the easist way to get three phase power in your single phase shop.

I would offer$1800 or $2000 and let him counter offer. If he is not getting any bites he might let it go for $2000.

You will want all of the lathe tooling on the bench behind it

Best of luck,

Vlad

Save your money and buy a nice Grizzly lathe! Say a 14 x 40.

At least the Asian Grizzly is a couple notches better than anything from India! In my opinion.

Back