Kitchen corner cabinet brackets

What seems like 800 years later, a used L&I 533.2485 reamer arrives late this afternoon. Measured it. It measures darn close to what it ought to be. Within 10ths, depending on how I hold my breathe. Just kidding. It seems to be very close. Gives me hope that I have a chance using the original pins I made.

Time to drill and ream holes tomorrow! No, no, can't wait to try it! Ran down to the shop, set up the reamer. Hole was already drilled and lined up in the test piece. Reamed it. The pin didn't fall through! Woohoo! Ran up to the arbor press - still not on a stand. Lets see what happens anyways. Hope I don't tip it in my exuberance.
PXL_20220622_003039236.jpgPXL_20220622_003134395.jpg
Well hot diggity! It worked! I will be able to finish this project up tomorrow. Not doing anymore on this tonight, it's too late and don't want to mess the real pieces up.

Here's the last bracket being reamed.
PXL_20220622_210858556.jpg
The last five brackets are done here.
PXL_20220622_212603765.jpg
A comparison of the new bracket, on the left vs the stock bracket on the right. This is a spare bracket. I made 9, but only needed 8. Better to have an extra, than to have to make one later. The chunks of aluminum that I had were just right for making 3 brackets out of each piece.
PXL_20220622_213542418.jpg

Best of all, a full corner kitchen cabinet. There still are a couple of options should the holes in the cabinet not be up to the task. Can offset them and re-drill in clean wood. If the shelf sags, I can support it. Will keep an eye on it. Told my wife that the heavier loads should be near the edges closest to the cabinet walls to reduce sagging.
PXL_20220622_215113120.jpg
All I can say is this project is complete. I so am grateful for the arbor press that was donated to me. Learned a bit about reamers along the way, so that was good. Stunk to have to buy a reamer 4 times to get one on size, but that too was a learning experience. My wife and I are both very happy to have this kitchen disruption finally over. Still irritated that I had to do this at all, but so glad that I had the ability to fix it, with a little bit of help from my friends.

Talk about an overbuilt part!! Nice!!!

Talk about an overbuilt part!! Nice!!!
Necessity is the mother of invention... Hope the shelf doesn't fall down tonight! It is now loaded with the same load as when it fell down in April.

I was hoping my design approach would fix the problem without altering the cabinet itself. The cabinet holes are a bit buggered up, which is why I went with a longer pin. Worst case, I drill some new holes.

The top shelf earned some of these overkill brackets. Since the cabinet holes are intact on the upper shelf, the fit is really good. That shelf is extremely sturdy now.

Back