Kitchen remodel, appliances?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm going to be doing a kitchen remodel(contracted), I'm looking at Wolf, and Sub-Zero, any comments? I know they are pricy, but the HD stuff don't last worth beans. Maybe Kitchen-Aid?

Last edited:
We went with Kitchen Aid Mike and still had issues . More electrical BS . Boards and cards etc . The stainless is nice and will make nice fire pits when they do stop working in the future . :)

I am knee deep in a kitchen remodel/extension. We went Wolf, Subzero, Asco. We liked the features. I also I work for a major builder in my area I was able to get a substantial discount, much better than the Thermador/Kitchenaide route we were originally going.

Everyone i know that has subzero has had lots of issues. On the other hand anything with electronics is failure prone. It seems like they are all designed to fail and its like playing the lottery to see if you get a good one. I have Frigidaire in the kitchen and LG in the laundry and have only had minor issues with the LG washer and dryer. I will keep fixing them as long as parts are available and may get another 10 years or more out of them.

Our LG fridge was pretty awful and broke several times. I gave it to a friend, who repaired it a few times before giving up. The SubZero replacement has been good so far but only a few years in.

I like the Bosch dishwasher, though Miele are a little quieter; though that depends on the exact model.

Cooking appliances probably depends which power source. I’m a fan of induction cook tops but I really want a Rational commercial steam oven. Not exactly the conventional look.

We went with Bosch dishwasher and induction cooktop, JennAir oven, Samsung refrigerator. So far (10 years) only had trouble with the cooktop. Warranty installed a new board and all has been good since.

Wolf and Sub Zero appliances are made just a couple miles down the road from our house. They are top of the line quality, quite popular, expensive, and believe it or not hard to get. Several relatives have had them, and by in large they seem to outlast their owners. Most were in the 40+ year old range when they were replaced. Even then they were replaced because of style rather than functionality. We did a remodel 4 years ago and tried to get a Sub Zero refrigerator and a Wolf range. The company showroom was just being built and it would have been a 3 month wait just to see them.. We tried several local appliance stores, but they didn't have the models in stock we were looking for.

In the long run we went with GE. Even that was a bit of a mistake. The range I chose was a convection style. It was fast as far as the top heating elements were concerned, however it did have some drawbacks. First off you needed ferrous metal cookware. It wouldn't work with ceramic, aluminum. or any other non- conductive metals. Secondly it had a screeching sound anytime any of the larger heating elements were on. The third problem was that it took almost half an hour for the oven to come up to temperature.

We continually had "unpleasant discussions" over the range. My wife hated it, but I could live with it. After 2 years of intense discussions I relented and we purchased a standard style GE electric range. We were considering a Wolf gas range, but we don't currently have gas in the kitchen. It would have required running a pipe the length of the house and boring through the new ceramic tile floor to install it. Since the new range has been installed everyone's happy.

Good luck picking your appliances! We are also refurbishing a home we just bought. I have been surprised by the lack of available appliances. We would pick an appliance (dishwasher, range, etc) and try to order it, only to find that our choice was unavailable or extremly long delivery times (like 10 months). Bosch dishwashers, for example were unavailable from any source we tried. We compromised on every appliance and hope it all turns out OK.
We have chosen to have custom cabinets built by a local company because delivery times for manufactured cabinets are estimated to be 4 months.

Last edited:
All are bad. No matter who I ask, they all have had issues and worst once the warranty is over. It is almost worth the time to go to recycle reuse place and find old analog stove and use it. Crazy
Pierre

We have had a Thermador “dual fuel“ range on order since June. It is just in but waiting on a conversion part. It is replacing the same brand we initially installed in 1993 which is suffering some electronics glitches at the moment.

Back