Kitchen remodel, appliances?

Appliances are now such a cluster. I was pretty much ignorant of the whole thing until my MIL had me get her SIL’s old O’Keefe & Merritt stove. Thing weighed as much as one of my bench machine tools! Simple to use and built to last forever. When my MIL passed my BIL took it and it turned out a nicer fancy version of the ‘51 model came up on CL. Perfect shape, one owner. Happy camper, and I love the retro look of the stove. No electronics, 4 big burners, griddle in the middle Grill’avator all chrome and white porcelain. It will easily outlast me.

Everything else is Maytag. The 12yrld side by side fridge started acting up and everybody online said thats how long they last :( Got a great repairman out(now there’s a rarity!) and he replaced a $65 relay and knock on wood it’s good as new. I’ve always hated stainless and when we thought we might have to buy another it turned out it’s extra for white! WTH? The old adage “they don’t make ‘em like they used to“ goes triple for appliances.

My favorite other than the fire pit . I could get by with either if I had my way . ;)

My favorite other than the fire pit . I could get by with either if I had my way . ;)
Lol, mine is white gas. I do all the cooking so there’s no struggle about appliances.

This is a tough one. By the time we know if an appliance is reliable the manufacturer has "improved" their line so those original ones are not what is available anymore. That being said, our appliances are now about 14 years old and here's the experience we have had:

Built-in oven: GE, Electric. The plastic touch panel button overlay started peeling after 3-4 years, which was beyond warranty. We contacted GE and they sent us a new panel, a glass button panel this time, and it has worked fine since. They provided it for free because it was a known issue and I installed it myself.

Range: Kenmore, Electric Glass top insert. Has always worked well. No issues.

Fridge: Kenmore, Side by side fridge over drawer-type freezer. Has always worked well and like the fridge over freezer setup. No issues.

Dishwasher: Bosch. Has always worked well. No issues.

Washer/dryer: Samsung. Have worked well. I replaced the heating element and drum belt in the dryer a couple of years ago. They play annoying tunes when the load is done.

We have a great appliance repair guy that we've used over the years. When our old fridge died last summer I asked
him which brands were reliable. He said on the low end Whirlpool was the best and at the high end Fisher and Paykel.
We bought the Whirlpool and so far it's been fine. As with cars, I always buy the simplest, least electronics intensive
model I can. When that stuff fails it costs big bucks. A few years ago my brother-in-law bought a high end LG fridge
with all the options. 14 months later the main mother board failed and replacement was something like 800 bucks and
of course, it was out of warranty.

The number one repair problem with fridges are the ice makers.

We have a Dacor gas cooktop: other than the ignitors it has no electronics at all. No problems in seven years.

Boy interesting this thread came up now. My wife last night said I want a new stove. One without burners to clean. (If everyone remembers awhile back I fell and hurt my hand, and to keep her mind off me being in the shop alone I know there would be a cost involved to distract her, and this apparently is the cost for that)

We have LG washers and dryer and they have been a rock, same for my TV. I'm old school and gone are the days of buying an American made product, so since LG has been good to us probably go with them. But, that's my idea. My significant other "might" (a good bet) will want a more expensive one. I'm looking at https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...oof-Black-Stainless-Steel-LREL6325D/312775947. Hmmm..........just read feedback on it, poor quality, cooktop turns white, enamel inside oven cracks. Dang, I can see my bank account balance getting much smaller than I had planned as I type this.

Wow, they even have stoves with wifi. So do they tell you when your burning the roast, or text you when it's time to eat? I think the more complicated the more that can go wrong. Our dishwasher went out, and it was a board problem. The board cost about 25% of the price of a new unit, so we decided it was time for new. I also replaced my water heater, and they also have ones with wifi. I've lived 64 years without having my water heater talk to me, not willing to have it reach out and touch me now.

Come on, you know you'd like it if it had a sexy Chinese voice that whispered sweet nothings into your ear...
Well, if I had my choice I'd have the stove with wifi. Having it whisper "I made you orange chicken sweetheart in a sweet sexy Chinese voice" would be acceptable, or the fridge telling me don't forget that chocolate cookie dough ice cream you bought ;)

But, knowing my wife she would change the voice to something male that told me rude things instead.

I looked at all the high end brands and chose a Bertazzoni gas range/oven for appearance and simplicity. Great Italian style with no circuit boards or fancy unneeded features. It’s been a few years, no issues. Just works.

My new Kitchenaid stainless fridge needed a $600 icemaker repair shortly after the warranty was up.

I have an old, came with the house, Kenmore dishwasher…the thing just works and cleans better than any newer unit I’ve had.

My original dishwasher is still going strong , in fact , after 35 years , I converted her it into a snow thrower ! :cautious:;)

Back