Kitchen remodel, appliances?

Stay away from Samsung dishwashers and refrigerators. I've had two of their dishwashers and both sucked. It couldn't get the dishes clean if its life depended on it - which it did. Replaced the last one with a Whirlpool stainless and it finally gets the dishes clean. I have a friend with one of their bottom freezer refrigerator and the top part keeps freezing up. You'd think that the price they charge for their products that they would at least know what they were doing. Sadly, 'tain't so.

I'll stick to the Sub-Zero then, thank you for the heads up. This is why I'm asking, we have a group here with a wealth of knowledge :encourage:

My Samsung refrigerator is not very sturdy. The wedge shaped piece in the hinge under the door that closes the door broke within a year. The ice maker and ice dispenser have always been problematic and the middle of the interior of the refrigerator got wider to the point that I had to add shims on each side of the shelf to keep it centered to keep it from falling down. This is about a 6 year old refrigerator.

My 4yo GE dishwasher does an excellent job but I had to replace the control board in it a couple months ago.

My 20yo Jenn Air down draft range has developed an electrical problem.

Bosch dishwashers do appear to be rugged but they don't have a grinder in the bottom so my gf has to pull the strainer out of the bottom of her dishwasher and clean it out every couple of washes. My GE dishwasher (that I replaced the control board in myself) does a MUCH better job cleaning the dishes... even through it takes many hours to do so!

I just don't think anyone makes decent appliances any more!

What ever you decide to get for your customer factor in a decent amount of post install support for when they have problems with the appliances. They WILL call you first even if you make it VERY clear that you are not responsible if there are problems with the appliances.

An old fashioned cast iron wood fired oven might be the best way to go to avoid issues.

Last edited:
We built our new house in 2019 and appliances are always a big investment and a concern for me. Trying to find the balance of cost vs reliability.
We had Electrolux full freezer and full refrigerator side by sides and after about 10 years they stopped cooling. I was able to install a bullet valve and re-charge the freezer. Did the same on the fridge, twice, but it finally gave out. Electrolux oven that I had to replace twice. Totally not worth it.
Our current house has all Bosch appliances except the microwave which is LG. The washer and dryer are LG and so far we love them. My wife wanted a fridge that did not have an ice maker in the door. Bosch was just coming out with their new line of refrigerator/freezers and we loved the look and the lack of electronic crap on it. Bosch B36Ct80SNS fridge.
My hood is Vent-A-Hood, which in my opinion is the best you can buy. No filters and quiet.

As SLK001 just mentioned, stay away from Samsung. Warners Stellian in MSP/STP pretty much doesn't even handle them anymore. You can buy them, but they don't have them in their stores. Samsung has developed their products to a price point but included lots of "cool" features, such as a computer screen on the front of some of their products, to appeal to the mass market gizmo seekers. In the end, they are junk.

Looking at reviews I have always felt that the high-end (Wolf, Thermadore, Fischer, etc) did not provide a commensurate level of reliability to go along with their huge price tag.

Also, for those interested, here is a list of who owns who...
Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands.
Electrolux company currently owns Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson appliance brands.
Haier manufactures GE, Hotpoint, Cafe, Profile, and Monogram branded household appliances.
Samsung owns Dacor.
LG owns Lg.

Attachments

• 20210528_092951.jpg
    20210528_092951.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
The Wolf/Sub-Zero installer/repair guy has been a personal friend for YEARS, so I have one dependable person at least.

I'll stick to the Sub-Zero then, thank you for the heads up. This is why I'm asking, we have a group here with a wealth of knowledge :encourage:

I am surprised with the number of guys that have these high-end appliances here on H-M.
We apparently have a group of knowledgable and wealthy folks here. LOL.

Stay away from Samsung dishwashers and refrigerators. I've had two of their dishwashers and both sucked. It couldn't get the dishes clean if its life depended on it - which it did. Replaced the last one with a Whirlpool stainless and it finally gets the dishes clean. I have a friend with one of their bottom freezer refrigerator and the top part keeps freezing up. You'd think that the price they charge for their products that they would at least know what they were doing. Sadly, 'tain't so.

They make nice TVs, phones and tablets so at least the wifi probably works well on their appliances. :grin: The reviews I've read kept me from even considering them for an appliance.

I still can't believe the washer and dryer we bought last year has a touch screen and blue tooth. WTF it is a washing machine, it just needs a knob and a button. :oops:

Well didn't cost me as much as I thought it would to appease my wife and let me work in my shop without supervision because of my fall. I bought this from home depot. Once my wife saw "wifi" I was sunk. It has 5 star rating, air fry and "wifi". Free delivery on 11-27. I bought the 5 year warranty also.

Can't wait for that sweet sexy Chinese voice telling me I've made you orange chicken :)

Last edited:
A year ago, my wife heard a noise when she opened the dishwasher door. It turned out to be some dog kibble dropping out of the door. I took the front panel off and there was several lbs of kibble stored in the door. The mouse had carried it in one chunk at a time trough an opening for the electrical wiring to the front panel controls. Fortunately, none of the wire was damaged. I made a sheet metal baffle to close off the opening which I believed has closed off the passage. We have a constant battle with mice in spite of my crawling around the foundation and sealin any possible entry point. It gets worse in the fall and early winter when they are coming in from the field for a warmer den.
for the mouse problems get these traps, arrange them in an array in suspected areas with peanut butter. It does miracles by quickly getting the mice...

Ariel

for the mouse problems get these traps, arrange them in an array in suspected areas with peanut butter. It does miracles by quickly getting the mice...

Ariel

To heck with that... just get some Victors, bait with PB and ATTACK! Set out at least four - mice travel in family groups. Keep setting them up until they no longer are "full" in the morning.

Back