Kitchen remodel, appliances?

When we redid our kitchen 4 yrs ago I wanted an all Miele package with an induction cooktop, but wife wanted the Gaggenau cooktop; we ended up with a Miele oven and microwave/oven combo, Gaggenau induction top, Thermador fridge and two Bosch dishwashers.

They all work great, but I would still go all Miele.

63bf90153db123a91ca49ea10e8d8292.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
8bdadaa85c32f8e80d5f2ebe15b6263f.jpg

896697c914f10591ad4e869e80b5a594.jpg

79ccb41316ded435ded2217ff57710c7.jpg

67a0a450bce4e3a4ad4e9d847ea5208c.jpg

To heck with that... just get some Victors, bait with PB and ATTACK! Set out at least four - mice travel in family groups. Keep setting them up until they no longer are "full" in the morning.
For years we had a mouse problem at the family cottage. It all started after a remodeling project. We found 1 mouse in the furnace room so we decided to put out the PB baited traps. In short order we were catching 4 to 5 mice a month.

We inspected the place and thought we'd thoroughly sealed it up, but kept catching mice in the furnace room only. We even had a couple exterminators come in to try to solve the problem but had no luck. One of the exterminators mentioned we might be attracting mice since they have a keen sense of smell.

He was right. We tried the pre-baited traps from the local farm store and the mouse population went to nearly zero. We still occasionally catch one or two in the fall months, but not nearly as many as when we were using the PB as bait. Every year we inspect the entire place trying to find where they come in. So far no luck.

I use the old style Victor mouse traps. I tied the newer style but they aren't a sensitive as the old ones. I set traps out when I spot evidence of mice and usually clean them up in a few days. Then I get lax with no activity until the next sighting. Living in a 110 y.o. farm house has its problems. For the ost part, they are confined to the basement but every once3 in a while, one will venture upstairs. I've sealed up most of the entry points but there is obviously one or more that I missed.

To change gears slightly; I can highly recommend the Speed Queen series of washers. We went through several brands over 10 years and my wife always had complaints. Speed Queen is known for making commercial washers but now has a residential line. They are built like a tank and have a true 10 year warranty. They are NOT water conserving if that is important to you. They do get your clothes clean!

Edit:
Looks like they have shortened the warranty to 3,5 or 7 years depending on the model :(

Last edited:
My mom always swore by Speed Queen. Mike

koenbro nicely done.
RWM, I'll check with the repair guy to see if it's a brand he can service. I'm out in Bum F*** Nowhere, that has a lot to do with what I have to choose from.

Before spending a lot of money on pricier name brands of appliances I would recommend a little research to see if that fancy name actually has factories that actually manufacture appliances. I think there are very few actual appliance manufactures and most name brands are made in the same Chinese factories as all the other names and just badged with a traditionally fancy name and an associate fancy price.

Last edited:
BlueStar is in Pennsylvania, and Sub-Zero is in Wisconsin, and Arizona. I'm still not finalized on the fridge yet, still comparing.

One of the things that I sorely miss on the gas ranges is a high BTU burner if you need to sear or for using a wok. Years ago I had the installed a Dynasty 5 burner range, the center burner was 25,000 BTU and was the only residential range that I have used that could do a decent job in doing Chinese cooking. They are out of business, and typically burners are rated at 15,000 BTU, sometimes 18,000. The Wolf ranges are 15,000 BTU. Depending on the Bluestar model they have a range of burners depending up to 22,000 and 25,000 BTU, and the burner style give more even heating. Really depends on the type of cooking one does as to the range and the values vs. function is a hard one. Typically the high end brands are not discounted, and service can be a nightmare. Looks like there is a Bluestar dealer in Honolulu, but if your friend deals with Wolf it may be a better choice at that price level. Wold is also aligned with Sub-Zero, I try to avoid the really fancy models, just more to go wrong.

There is a hot rod modification for the BlueStar, you can change out the orifice jet, and put in the 22K jet.

Back