KMG Grinder Clone

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
All this project talk has motivated me to blow the cob-webs off this project I wanted to make a couple years back, it is so easy to put things on the back burner,, frequently never to be seen again, such was almost the case with this KMG grinder clone, though I continued to scrounge some items that would be needed.

Some are fortunate to be able to look a drawings and see the big picture, I can to a degree but not well, consequently, I like to model every project in CAD prior to building. For me the ability to rotate, zoom in, isolate etc. components just makes it so much nicer then some .pdf file to view and contemplate any changes.

I use OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro for cad/cam (.XFA format) but can export in many formats if any one would like a copy of the model.
All the separate components are in separate layers but do not believe these layers are preserved in any of the format exports.

For the most part hardware has not been modeled as well as some of the pulleys arbors as those will be made on the fly so to speak after the pulley type and size is determined.

a .IGS cad format of the model is attached in the zip file.

Attachments

• KMG-ASSEMBLY.zip
    190 KB · Views: 30
  • KMG TYPE.zip
    773 KB · Views: 42
Ken,

Please forgive me for being so out of date and backwards. I don't have a working CAD system at home and have retired from work so I can't open your files to see what you are working on. I also am not familiar with what a KMG grinder is so I did a search. Is the two video links below what you are building?
http://beaumontmetalworks.com/kmg1pics/video_1.htm
http://beaumontmetalworks.com/kmg1pics/video_2.htm

If so, that is some machine and project. I may have to find and install a CAD system so I can see what you are doing and watch the progress.

Thanks for posting.

Benny

That's the one Benny.
And agreed, it looks very useful in many ways.

There were two files attached, the one zip has instructions in a .pdf file, these came from the web.

The unit modeled does not have all those extra attachments but as you can see most of them are pretty straight forward, that does not necessary mean simple but at least not terribly complicated to make.

Ken

Man that's one bad ass machine, I'm gonna download the files and see if I can open them in one of the programs I have. Thanks Benny for the Vid links

I built one of those some time back. Its extremely useful in the shop. I will go take a picture and post it, if I can make it work.

Back