Knee hand crank for K&T 2H horizontal

mleptuck310

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, I just got my c.1942 2H K&T horizontal mill home and the machine is missing the hand crank that manually operates the knee elevation.

Does anyone have one available to purchase, or know of anyone parting out a machine that might have one?

In lieu of a vintage part, would anyone be willing to make me a shop drawing of said part, so I can go about making one, if I'm unable to buy an original?

Thanks!
Mike

Mine was missing also when I bought my mill. Do You have a hand wheel for the Y axis? You can use this until you can get, or make one.

I made my own handle by turning a piece of pipe to fit over the shaft, then milling the notches in the end. I then welded a length of steel to give some throw to the handle. Welded a piece of round stock to this and put a short length of pipe over it so it would turn easily. Make any sense?

I used this for years until I found a old hand crank at the junk yard and adapted that to work

Make sure when the Z axis is engaged it pushes the handle away. You don't want that spinning to take you out at the knee caps.:eek 2:
Hope this was a little help.
Cheers
Martin

You can place a Wanted ad on SurplusRecord.com as that website is sent to all the used machinery dealers in the USA. Many of them have cribs full of "stuff" and you may get lucky.

Mine was missing also when I bought my mill. Do You have a hand wheel for the Y axis? You can use this until you can get, or make one.

I made my own handle by turning a piece of pipe to fit over the shaft, then milling the notches in the end. I then welded a length of steel to give some throw to the handle. Welded a piece of round stock to this and put a short length of pipe over it so it would turn easily. Make any sense?

I used this for years until I found a old hand crank at the junk yard and adapted that to work

Make sure when the Z axis is engaged it pushes the handle away. You don't want that spinning to take you out at the knee caps.:eek 2:
Hope this was a little help.
Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin, yes I do have the Y-axis wheel; never occurred to me that that and the hand crank might be interchangeable, but I WILL check that out.

Many thanks!
Mike

You can place a Wanted ad on SurplusRecord.com as that website is sent to all the used machinery dealers in the USA. Many of them have cribs full of "stuff" and you may get lucky.
Thank you; I'll go and submit an ad shortly! We'll see if anything turns up.
Mike

I have some spare handles/levers from a 1947 2HL universal, not sure if they're the same size/shape as the 2H?
I imagine shipping acoss the pond might be a killer though.

Thanks! Turns out I e-mailed the guy I bought the mill from and he HAD it amongst some other bits for other machines. I just need to replace the ball and spring detent stop and I'll be good to go. Thanks for the help either way!
Mike

Back