Knee mill or Dovetail?

I upgraded from a 9x40 bench mill (Charter Oak) to a PM935. I have yet to find anything that the 935 can do that the 9x40 couldn't, but the articulating head and knee of the 935 does make some operations easier.

I built my first USPSA competition 38 super on a Sherline lathe and mill. I don't recommend that for most folks, but it can be done. ;)

I would say that the articulating head of a BP (or clone) makes some operations easier though. I had in mind making 30 degree flats on a 1911 slide in mind when I said that. But you could do that with a tilting table or vise. There are always different ways to arrive at the end result IMO.

+1 for the PM 833T, much more machine then the other ones. As far as bed (dovetail column) mill vs knee mill; it depends more on the quality of the machines construction than the style.

This is an old thread but I'm an old guy that hasn't been here in a while.. I would like a small bench mill setup as a cnc just for engraving.. My big bedmill cnc works too hard with extensive engraving..

But here is my comment and why I replied to this thread. This wasn't mentioned.. With a full sized manual kneemill you can swing the head to the side and extend the ram out to work on cutting long things fastened to the front edge of the table like the breech end of barrels and the wrist end of butt stocks.

By the way I am 6' 6" and have arthritus in my back so I have my 2500 lb knee mill set up on a 10 inch steel platform so I dont have to bend over so far to see the work. I also owned a 2700lb Gorton knee mill for many years and seldom used it because I literally had to get down on my knees to use it.. I traded it straight across for a 10 thousand pound 60 ton capacity punch press . Ohh , not to talk bad about the old Gorton mill , mostly I didnt use it because it didnt have DRO or x axis table feed . I could have installed those and set it on 10 inch riser but I just didnt like the machine.

My opinion: If you don’t have a Bridgeport class mill, you either have a restricted set of smaller projects you work on, or you will be soon disappointed with your bench mill capabilities.

Well , I feel like you but I wouldn't say it in public. Sometimes a person needs to stick their toe in the water to see what it feels like.
I have never bought anything other than industrial duty machines but I knew from the beginning that I wanted the big stuff and ability to throw swarf across the room. Hehhehehehhh Have a good'un my Friend.

For taking "big" DOC's(+.100"), most bench mill columns/heads will have a tendency to flex more than kneemills(thin column models). Not a big deal at all if you don't mind extra passes taking lighter DOC's. When choosing a bench mill, I'd look at the column dimensions/geometry and how it attaches to the base. Most of the PM models 727 and up in size I'd go with. I lucked out and found a medium sized knee mill that's built like a tank, 800 lbs, makes fast +.100" DOC with 70% engagement, like butter. Look up Clausing 8520 or Select OB mills, I believe Grizzly still offers some small/medium kneemills also. Or, go with a PM benchtop mill, they're great machines.

Back