Knee or Quill

Submachine

Registered
Registered
Looking for opinions on whether to buy knee or quill. The following article argues for quill which is opposite of what I have been told. Please assume either is an option on the machine I am buying.

Opinions and why?

That article seems to assume that if you have a knee mill, you are moving the knee when boring. In Bridgeport-style knee mills, the knee is generally used to set the height of the part, then the quill is used for boring. I suppose if you have a knee and don't have a quill (maybe a horizontal mill with a vertical spindle adapter) then this article might apply.

if you are drilling and boring a lot of holes then a quill mill will work just fine. but if you are milling parts to different thicknesses on the same part from experience a knee mill is the best

if you are drilling and boring a lot of holes then a quill mill will work just fine. but if you are milling parts to different thicknesses on the same part from experience a knee mill is the best

I am a beginner. If a quill presents itself should I wait for knee mill? I cannot specify what I am going to do, because I don’t know yet.

I gathered that the article was asking whether the z axis should be assigned to the knee or the quill in a CNC conversion. In addition to the points made, I would be concerned about the the ability to make rapid moves with the knee. That's a lot of mass to move. My preference would be to assign the z axis to the quill and ideally assign the fourth axis to the knee.

After 30 plus years in the trade, if I had a choice, I'd have a machine with both a knee and a quill. They each have their uses. Imagine trying to tap with the knee!

I am a beginner. If a quill presents itself should I wait for knee mill? I cannot specify what I am going to do, because I don’t know yet.
One consideration is the larger mass and greater rigidity of a knee mill. Some of the square column bench mills approach the rigidity but don't quite make it. Along with increased rigidity and mass, there is usually a larger motor all of which lend themselves to take heavier cuts. Many of the feeds and speed recommendations simply do not apply to the more wimpy mills.

Much depends on your anticipated use. While you don't know what you will want to do, you should have a fairly good grasp on your interests. If they trend toward smaller projects, a bench mill may suit your needs well. There are many fine examples on this forum of work done on a relatively small bench mill.

I prefer (and have) a mill with both knee and quill. Very handy setup, and I would find myself missing either right away if one or the other was gone.

Edit: When I first read this post this morning, the link you had up was about CNC machines, not something I have or am into, so I did not reply at that time. If you are going to be doing purely CNC work, then your preferences will be different, and need to be addressed from that viewpoint.

Get the biggest machine you can fit in your shop. If you’re looking there are tons of threads on here regarding what type of machine to buy. However, it’s hard to argue that more capability is worse than less.

Of course, if a smoking deal comes your way grab it up.

John

Back