Knurled Shank & Hole Diameters

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
I am replacing my lug studs with longer ones to accomodate different wheels. The stock OEM lug stud knurled diameter is listed as 14.28mm. The new ones are listed as 14.35mm diameter. Do I need to drill out the hole or should these fit?

I don't know but 14.35mm minus 14.28mm = 0.07mm which = 0.0027". I wouldn't think 3 thousands of an inch would make much difference on a knurl fit.

I don't know but 14.35mm minus 14.28mm = 0.07mm which = 0.0027". I wouldn't think 3 thousands of an inch would make much difference on a knurl fit.
Do you know what the Max and Min hole diameters are for knurled items?

Sorry, my e-version of Machinery's Handbook won't open with Foxit Reader and I refuse to put up with all of Adobe's extra overhead.

However, if it is going on a Pontiac it can be pretty sloppy! :laughing:
(Just Kidding!!)

Sorry, my e-version of Machinery's Handbook won't open with Foxit Reader and I refuse to put up with all of Adobe's extra overhead.

However, if it is going on a Pontiac it can be pretty sloppy! :laughing:
(Just Kidding!!)
It's actually going on my Nissan Titan

You'll be fine. I would try to line up with the existing "scars" from the old studs if the count is the same. I've done the same thing a few times. The studs are harder than the hub/flange, and that extra 0.0027 won't be a problem.

Great, Thx! I found a "internet rule of thumb" stating .008-.010 undersize of the knurl. Is this a accurate sizing dimension?

Well, there are lots of variable involved such as length of engagement, material type and hardness, etc, plus in your case an existing internal "spline" already there. If I were doing it, I'd press (or pull) them in and never look back.

Back