Knurled Tool

oskar

Registered
Registered
Looking for suggestions on a knurled tool for my Taig mini lathe with a tool holder capacity 1/4” to 3/8”. Would like to make some knobs for small screws.

Searching I noticed they also come with several wheels with different patterns which will be nice

Look at Sherline they have a small knurling tool that ought to work well for you. I have one on my Sherline 4400 lathe am happy with it.

Found it at Sherline, looks pretty good, thanks

I own the Sherline knurler and it works. However, it is nowhere near as good as a scissors knurler. The problem is that nobody makes a good scissors knurler for the Sherline/Taig sized lathes so I made my own by looking at a single blurry picture of a knurler made by Chris Heapy of the UK. Maybe these pics will be enough to get your thinking going:

IMGP0566.jpgIMGP0565.jpgIMGP0581.jpg

All mild steel, aluminum spacers, aluminum mounting block. Knurls are from FormRol, pins are drill blanks. There is zero play between the plates and arms but the arms move freely; it is extremely rigid. Capacity is 1/8" to 2-1/4" OD. It will knurl everything we commonly work with, from plastics to brass to steel to stainless steel. It mounts solidly to the Sherline cross slide with two T-nuts.

I do not have plans for it but can give you details if you have questions. I will tell you that there is no comparison between this knurler and the Sherline tool.

Agree with Mikey, scissor knurlers are way better, particularly on small lathes - the "bump" knurlers that just run in from the cross-slide put a lot of force back into the toolpost and don't engage as positively - you can get scissor knurlers to fit in the toolpost slots though, or you may be able to remove the bar and replace it with a piece of suitable key stock to clamp in the TP?

Dave H. (the other one)

Thanks Mike for your time and definitely it’s a project I would like to do. I found the FormRol site which is very good with tons of information plus I found a .PDF document about Knurls which I will read to educate myself.

No need for plans but I have these questions:

What is the approx. overall size of the main block?
What is the size of the main bolt? Are the threads coarse or fine?
What is the size of the knurls you have?

Much appreciated
Nicolas

Mikey that knurler looks very similar to the one Hemingway Kits from the UK sells. I made a larger sized one on that design for my big lathe. It's a joy to use.

I don't know what happened to my post here.

Dave ,Mikey, thank you both for your replies, I read them in my yahoo mailbox (that's where I usually receive notifications for all my my threads/post) but they disappeared from this thread after the quick upgrade this afternoon.
Mikey, now that you explained how the knuckles are secured,I can see the grooves clearly.neat idea bytheway ,the whole project looks very well machined and precise. the one I'm working on is quite sloppy compared to yours but after all it is inspired by my other Chinese knurling tool which (surprisingly) works exceptionally well.

There are some post missing here, can this be corrected?

Back