Knurled Tool

Just realised I didn’t include the picture in my last post, its attached here

No I didn’t order the knurl pins yet because KBC provides steel pins for $3.25 or Carbide pins for $19.10 and the drill blanks are $2.95.

Capture.JPG

Big knurls, Nicolas. You might consider a 1/2" OD knurl instead.

Re the pins, how do you envision securing them to the arms? That will determine which material to use.

They only have 3/4" OD, I will call and find out if they can get me 1/2" OD

I was thinking to secure the knurls to the arm like you did but my arm will be made with 1/2" thick aluminum. I prefer not to use steel since I only do hobby work and aluminum is much easier to mill.
Nicolas

I would use mild steel if I were you but its your call. Knurling involves pretty high forces, though, so maybe think about it. Mild steel is not difficult to mill and it will hold up better over time. Also bear in mind that the modulus of elasticity of steel is three times that of aluminum.

I would use mild steel if I were you but its your call. Knurling involves pretty high forces, though, so maybe think about it. Mild steel is not difficult to mill and it will hold up better over time. Also bear in mind that the modulus of elasticity of steel is three times that of aluminum.

Hi Mike

I understand your concern about the mild steel but it’s only about a month I have my mini lathe and never used a lathe before so I’m hesitant to use steel right now. If all goes well later on I can replace the aluminum knurl tool with one made out of steel. I only have a hobby shop which is equipped for woodwork and I cut aluminum to size using a Miter saw and Skill saw with a 50 tooth carbide blades. These blades work well on aluminum but are not good for mild steel.

The knurls I want to make are to replace some 8-32 and 10-32 SHCS on my mini lathe and I will make them out of brass or aluminum with a diamond pattern. Which pattern do you like better between the ones you bought (EQR/EQI 225 or 230) and do they produce a diamond pattern?

Both are good. The 230 is a finer pattern than the 225. I don't have a lot of pics of knurls so I keep showing the same ones.

Here is one in aluminum with the 225 knurls:

IMGP0578.jpg

Here is what is called a square knurl, done with a pair of 230 straight knurls and a pointed HSS tool ground to the same angle as the knurl's teeth. You cut the straight knurl, measure the distance between the peaks, then cut perpendicular lines to the same depth and pattern with the HSS tool. Makes for an interesting pattern. Not my idea; this came from Geo. H. Thomas.

IMG_3880.JPG

The 225 is just slightly coarser than the 230 but the difference is noticeable. If I had to pick one, I would choose the 225.

Thanks for the pictures Mike, those knurls look pretty sleek

I got in touch with Form Roll Die and they can ship to Canada. They gave me a price of $13.35 for each of EQR 225 & EQL 225 and I plan to order them on Monday. I will also ask them if they can custom grind a bevel on both sides on each knurl like you did and if not too expensive I will take it.

I will also order 2 drill blanks 3/16” from KBC in Canada. Do you know if FormRoll can also supply these drill blanks? If yes I might as well get the set from them.

Nicolas

I decided to take a look to see if anybody made a knurler that would work on the Taig without you going through the trouble of making one and I found this: http://www.cartertools.com/lmsk.html

Here is the knurler: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1911

Cost is not too dear and it would get you up and running quickly. Rather than making a knurler from aluminum, I would consider the one from LMS instead. Later, when you are more confident of working with steel, we can re-visit making a knurler if you like.

Mike you are amazing and thanks for your time again

It’s funny because I visited cartertools site many time before but I missed that page. It’s also interesting because a similar tool (picture attached) is selling in a town close to mine.

In any case I apologise if I sound stubborn but I prefer to make my own and the main reason is to gain the experience using my lathe. If the results are not good, then I will buy either the one you mentioned or the one close to my town.

Tool Knurled from BusyBee.JPG

Back