Knurled Tool

Thats very interesting. I sent email asking some details. It could be a good alternative

Nicolas, if you go with that Hemmingway kit, please do a review if you can. I am curious to see how much actual machining is required to assemble this knurler. Hopefully, most of it is done for you because their price is pretty high for some small bits of steel. If it can be done without the use of a milling machine then I think this is a really good option.

Good point Mike

I already sent an email to ask for the shipping cost but I will send another one now to ask what work is involved plus to include a set of knurls since I don’t know their size.

Regarding the cost of the unit I think it will be less expensive than the one we talked yesterday because the cost of 23.90 Pound includes 20% VAT tax which I don’t have to pay.

Looks like no one is at the Hemingwaykits site. Sent 2 emails last Saturday and as of now I have no response. Most likely I will give up on them

Have you checked your junk folder?

I don’t have junk folder but I have trash folder and nothing is there. In any case I never set any antispam rules in my email program and never had any problem before or missing emails.

Perhaps is something common in England? Last month I sent email to another British company from eBay and never got a reply. I went ahead and ordered the items I wanted and on the eBay invoice I had to ask the vendor to reduce the sipping cost since I was buying a few items from the same place. The guy came the next day and all went fine, but never answered my email!

This is awesome, I've been thinking about knurling after making a few small things that would be nicer knurled. I was getting ready to ask about the Sherline knurling tool and this thread popped up in the featured thread box. Another project to add to the list.

Hi Mike

I understand your concern about the mild steel but it’s only about a month I have my mini lathe and never used a lathe before so I’m hesitant to use steel right now.

If you use 12L14 it isn't bad at all. I was also reluctant to using steel on my Sherline, particularly after working with some cold rolled steel that was not so easy to work with.

I'm using 12L14 for the crank shaft on a little wobbler steam engine and other than taking smaller cuts, I'm not finding it any more difficult to work with than brass or aluminum.

Back