Knurling tool build

Russ- great information and examples. Those are some nice knurls you have done there. The wear on that first axle is obvious.
I will rack my brain some more on how to execute an HSS axle. Perhaps I need to re-visit how I adjust the gap between arms.
Robert

You may notice I used DTMS welding on the wings. This causes a lot less distortion than TIG.

DTMS? Okay, I am not familiar with that term.....and no useful hits on an interweb search either....
Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
-brino

Made some spacers and the main pivot:

1584498472735.png

Still having axle anxiety...
I may try O1 steel bored to accept a #8 screw and harden it. Once I drill out the axle holes to 1/4" there is no going back. I can't believe O1 is that much softer than HSS. However, if those axles fail I can then move on to 1/4" HSS. I think you can see the difficulty I am having with keeping the arm spacing appropriate so the knurl wheel does not move left to right.

Robert

Last edited:
I went ahead and made the hollow axles out of O1. These are bored for a #8.

1584584742808.png
If these fail I will go to HSS. That will probably complicate things since I will have to add additional spacers to closely maintain the arm spacing.
Here is a look at the current geometry.
1584584831718.png
Robert

Here you can see where I added the extra spacers:

1584586736878.png

Robert

Attachments

• 1584586423771.png
    1584586423771.png
    557.5 KB · Views: 9
No time to work on this tonight. I had a nightmare last night about using a #8 screw in this design and having it fail on a critical part that I was knurling. I lost my NASA contract. Is this an omen?
I may yet resort to an HSS cobalt axle as recommended by Russ. I am cogitating on the solution until the weekend.
Robert

Last edited:
Want those bolts yet ? :big grin:

I really appreciate the offer. I don't thing a bolt will be advantageous. A cobalt drill shank would be more wear resistant and I think I have a way to secure it.
R

Easy way is to use a clevis pin with c clips . ;)

Back