Knurling tool build

Upper pivot could look like this:

1583590875298.png

This would go into the top holes above. It is only 3/8 diameter. It would fit a 3/8 screw on the flats with a 3/16 guide that could have a C clip on the backside? Pivot is not super strong but should carry the load? My original thought was brass but maybe I will go with steel for strength.

Robert

How does this type knurler work?
To me it looks like the upper wheel is fixed to the tool post needing the tool post height adjusted for top wheel height. When the lower wheel is tightened it will push the work up.
Should the top wheel be pivot as well?

Outer arm (2):

1583591852662.png

I'm just guessing at dimensions here. I think I will cut these out of cardboard and play with them. I could model the assembly in Fusion if I were a real machinist!

Robert

How does this type knurler work?
To me it looks like the upper wheel is fixed to the tool post needing the tool post height adjusted for top wheel height. When the lower wheel is tightened it will push the work up.
Should the top wheel be pivot as well?
The "bolt" in the center is a pivot for both arms. The center height does not have to be perfect. The straight part that goes into the tool post is not fixed to the upper arm. See this:
1583592120758.png
Robert

Thanks, makes sense now

Before I start building this thing I would appreciate any comments you may have for improvement especially if you see something that won't work! Any suggestions other than Nickel Silver brazing?
I may or may not take your suggestions but all are invited!
Robert

@Rvm you’ve got some mad modelling skills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back