Knurling tool build

Great idea! Consider it stolen. Can you give me a source or part number? I am having trouble finding screws with the correct unthreaded length. McMaster is not very specific about this. I would not want to try to thread a hardened screw.

This may not be helpful - I snagged them from a set of mountain bike brakes I swapped out. I sort of wound up designing the width of the arms around those screws. Look at Bolt Depot online, they give detailed dimensions of their screws. If I recall knurls are about 3/8" wide with a 1/4" hole so something like this may work https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=5031.

If that's what he needs , I'm staring at 10,000 of them . :grin: Robert , I have all sizes , if you need some let me know before 7am . I'll throw them in an envelope .

If that's what he needs , I'm staring at 10,000 of them . :grin: Robert , I have all sizes , if you need some let me know before 7am . I'll throw them in an envelope .
That is very generous!
One question here: I know a 1/4" screw is not really .250". They are usually undersize. Would it be better to have the correct size axle? could the knurl wheel be wobbly?
R

Shoulders are .249 so you'll have a thou clearance .

Shoulders are .249 so you'll have a thou clearance .
Ok then! I need the un-threaded length to be .625 minimum. .750" would be perfect. The smaller the head the better. Those mountain bike screws sure look nice. I will PM you my address!
Many thanks,
Robert

How many ? I have .750 body lenghts in hand . :grin:

How about 3 so I have an extra for a Mulligan?!
Robert

I grabbed 20 or so . We throw them out by the buckets :)

Don't go crazy! I will measure the best 2 and use them. I sent you a PM.
Also...first part (OK really second attempt at first part)

1584240686801.png

No chamfers!
I fly cut it to .378 but the thickness varies from .375 to .379. Should be adequate. I am not sure if my tiny mill is out of tram or I had a chip under the vice or what?! I also had a crash recently so I could have knocked the tram off.
Robert

Edit: I should note that the hole is actually centered and has been reamed to .500!
R

Last edited:
Another idea:

I have an aluminum dovetail that I made for my AXA toolpost. I am thinking of mounting this tool on that part instead of a regular tool holder. With one less interface the geometry should be better. I don't see a lot of force on the center pivot so I am thinking aluminum will be OK in this application. Otherwise I have a piece of 5/8" keystock (shown above.) What say ye?
Robert

Back