Knurling tool build

Stainless steel will work harden if I'm not mistaken. That may make a forming operation like knurling to be very difficult to get good results maybe. Or maybe it could be annealed before knurling?

Reactions: rwm
I am thinking the best way to do this would be to mount the tool on the back side of the cross slide on a rigid mount. Then you could see the action better and the tool would be more rigid than in the QCTP.

Funny you should mention that.
Here's a pic of the only knurler I left out of the earlier picture.

20200322_155116.jpg

• Love
Reactions: rwm

See if there's anything in there that helps with the double tracking. I've never tried stainless, but I'd expect it to be tricky!

Lovely build :)

I added the prints to the first post of the thread so they would be easy to find. Let me know if you see any errors. There are some slight variations in my execution but enough information is there.

Robert

That video from Joe P is kind of funny. He goes through the calculations for ideal diameter and TPI. Then he goes over to the lathe and demonstrates that it doesn't work! Still a great video as all of his are.
Robert

I added the prints to the first post of the thread so they would be easy to find. Let me know if you see any errors. There are some slight variations in my execution but enough information is there.

Robert
I thought the design would work well. The stronger thicker arms n body. Have made this a real all day worker for you. Id download the prints but ah its the hospital life for me for a while longer. Thanks for distracting me from pain n where im stuck.

I made the rear mounted holder. Just used beefy aluminum:

1585354347224.png

1585354362485.png

Thanks Russ! It is much easier to check the pattern and follow the result.

I used the O1 hollow axles and put #8 alloy machine screws through them. So far so good. With this design I think this type of axle is important to maintain the arm spacing for the wheels. The Hardened O1 is significantly harder than a grade 8 bolt. I made an update to the prints to reflect this important point.

Robert

Last edited:
Back