Knurling tool build

Interesting idea! I can't easily do that because the hole in the upper wing is only 3/8" diameter and there is not much room to go larger. The screw is 3/8-16 so....
R

Last edited:
Then you can see what you are doing as you tighten it with it running

Interesting idea! I can't easily do that because the hole in the upper wing is only 3/8" diameter and there is not much room to go larger. The screw is 3/8-16 so....
R

1/4 20 bolt and re do the brass nut?

1/4" might be kind of flimsy when extended. There is actually a lot of clearance on the back side so it is not hard to adjust. Maybe if someone else builds one of these they should try the reverse screw idea. You could use a larger pivot on the top wing and make it work.
Robert

Consider switching the tightening screw around so you can adjust it from the front.

At large dia it looks like it may run into interference with the top wheel? Maybe not, just spitballin.

Thanks Russ! It is much easier to check the pattern and follow the result.

Looking good. Looks like it will be a pleasure to use.
One thing I tend to do with mine is adjust it down to the work, then move it off the work and adjust it tighter. Then I can either
force it to center on the work once it's turning or just bring it far enough on it till getting the result I want.
Works for stock that's large enough to take some side load. Small work will of course bend away.
It doesn't create as much side load as a push knurler so works good.

I tried a long segment of 1/2" 304 SS today:

1585503597406.png

The forces when doing this were very high. The tool was actually pretty warm when I stopped. I did not expect that. The far end is held by a live center so it wouldn't deflect. I used power feed away from the chuck. You can see that the knurl is more fully formed at the beginning since the tool dwelled here due to clutch slipping. The far end is incompletely formed but still looks nice. It's not perfect but I would call this usable. I can machine this into thumb screws. Stainless is much harder to knurl than aluminum!
Could I go back and machine off the tops of the diamonds with a skim cut to make it look more even? Don't want to mess it up.

Robert

I did this:

1585617669996.png

I have to confess; I tried to do a press fit and got a barely interference fit. It is tight but not solid. I put some red Loctite in there. I will destruction test it tomorrow. If it fails, then plan B.
There is a hole bored in the back of the handle so you can also use an Allen key also. You would never get this tight enough by hand.
(No, I did not do that knurling. I got the handle super cheap on eBay.)

Robert

Looking good. That will be a joy to use.

1585665708848.png

I think I am going to remake the center bushing to accommodate a 5/16" screw. Future project may be to still revise the axle design.

Robert

Back