Knurling tool build

I was also considering using the set screw on the far side to make the hole non-round. I could loctite it in place, have a flat on the end of the axle and keep my plates to retain the axles. Just a thought.
R

I don't understand about the non-round hole, Robert.

The set screw would not have to be tight on the axle to prevent rotation. It could just engage the flat to prevent it. Kind of like using a semicircular hole and have the end of the axle as a semicircle. Probably unnecessarily complex and I should just have the set screw both retain the axle and prevent rotation. Another though was to drive a roll pin across the hole and slot the end of the axle. Just brainstorming here.
R

Last edited:
The pin just needs to stay in place. How you do that is up to you but the simpler, the better. A set screw would be simplest. I chose Lautard's method because I didn't have enough real estate for a set screw. Mine accomplishes the same thing as a set screw, just more hassle to make.

The concern with a set screw is the accuracy of the pin hole, which is why I asked if you reamed it carefully. If the pin moves around a lot then that set screw might not hold it. The only way to know is to try it and see, and if it was me I would try the set screw and see if it suffices. If it does then you have the option of using carbide pins and that is a very good thing.

Reactions: rwm
How's this?!

1586044413482.png

1586044472994.png

After experimenting, I actually got #10 screws in there. I think there is enough "meat" to hold them. I placed the set screws so they are accessible from the front and the knurl wheels push perpendicular to their axis.

Robert

Attachments

• 1586044432294.png
    1586044432294.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
This allows me to use a solid axle made from an old 1/4" drill.
If this has not already been mentioned drill shanks are neither HSS nor hardened to any degree to allow gripping of the chuck.
I have some cheap solid carbide end mills that spark the same on the shank as near the cutting edge with a grinder, maybe an alternative if you envisage heavy usage.
Brilliant build so far, looking forward to versions 2 to10. :applause:
John.

Thanks for the compliment T- I thought about that earlier. One of the axles is from a double ended center drill which seems to be hardened in its entirety. The other is a cobalt drill shank. It was very hard to cut with an abrasive blade so I don't know. Certainly harder than mild steel. I will try to trash a carbide end mill very soon to resolve this issue!
Robert

Edit: I could harded the axle, yes? Use the process for O1?
Robert

Last edited:
Back