KO Lee B600 T&C Grinder - information needed for cleaning and checkout

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Not sure if this is the right place to post this request. If not please move it.

Today I scored a KO Lee B600 tool and cutter grinder at the scrap yard. I will be checking it out and hopefully breathe some life back into it. I have no information on this machine and will be searching for parts diagrams and manuals. If anyone has any documents or knows of a source any and all help would be appreciated.

The tool will become part of my home shop and hopefully will return to grinding cutters in its new home.

I was not able to get photos today as wife is out of town and took the camera with her. I can post photos later if anyone is interested.

Thanks, Benny
In middle Tennessee, USA

Yes some pix's would be nice because I just brought mine home today a B600 maybe we can share restoration info good luck.

Hello pointtopoint,

Thanks for the reply. I will attach a picture of mine. Not much to show as it was retrieved from a scrap yard without any of the tooling or guards.

I have not been idle since asking for help here. I would have thought there would have been more interest in grinding your own tools by the Hobby Machinist membership since tooling can be an expensive and troublesome part of the hobby. But maybe everyone is better at freehand tool grinding than I am and don't need another tool to help them make or sharpen their tool or maybe it is just an excuse for me to acquire another machine. To me making a needed tool is more fun than making an engine that I don't need. Making a tool to fix an engine that I do need is also fun, to each his own.

I have been able to locate a parts manual for the B600 and some other similar machines. I will try and locate the sources again or if you will PM me you email address I will send you copies of what I found. These will help you know what you have and don't have and some idea of how to set up to use your grinder.

Your approach to the project may be different than the path I will be taking. Thinking I would never be able to afford a dedicated T&C grinder I had considered making one of the homeshop DIY tool grinders discussed in the various forums. I had also been looking for and acquiring various pieces I thought might make a project like that go faster. When I found my B600 for scrap price it was cheaper than material cost needed to make one of the kits and a big jump start. My plan now is to make or acquire what is needed to get the B600 into a useful condition a step at a time. I am not concerned about an accurate restore. At this point what I need is some dimensions for the parts I need to make if I can't locate them at a decent cost. Dimensions don't have to be exact but close enough that I don't end up making something twice because it is a ½ inch too short or too long to work right. Right now all I have to go on is the parts diagram pictures. Not having used a T&C grinder before it is hard to judge the size porportions from what I have or know about operation (nothing except what I have read).

My first thought for my grinder was get it setup for grinding HSS lathe tools as these are always dull and needed for all projects. Then maybe drill sharpening. I did a little research and decided first step was to get a universal vise for mine which I did. Don't have any hold down t-bolts for the vise to the grinder as the ones for my mill are way too large for this small grinder, so another project has been born.

I got way too long winded here so on to your requested photo of my B600. Attached is one soon after arrival home. Drop me a PM and once you have the parts information we can continue discussion.

If you want photos or information for any particular area let me know. What I have is original as far as I know, except for paint. There are way too many coats everywhere!

Benny
In middle Tennessee, USA

KO Lee B600.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: KO Lee B600 T&C Grinder - parts and operator instruction manuals

Hello pointtopoint,

I found the links and have included them below in case others have a need.

The first link below is the user manual for a similar small tool grinder and is handy for learning general how-to setup and use of small tool & cutter grinder. The second and third links are for the parts and instruction manuals for the KO Lee machines.

http://www.rulezman.com/rulezman_workshop_2/downloads_files/UnionGrinderManual.pdf

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ToolGrinding/files/B600 K.O.Lee Tool grinder/

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8JZ1TlnkooRF_znS8cPOu35xv8jgZZogbr3STfPmEkS-UXC80FwKgqyj6XfgEHgBiEe4MOyPvQgrNau32IIfvbed3rsd6Tc/KO Lee Owners Manual 1979 OCR'd low resolution - jpeg.pdf

I am interested in dimensions for any tooling you may have gotten with your B600. Keep in touch and let me know if you need anything I can help you with. I also have borrowed an attachment for sharpening wheel type slitting saw or milling cutters from a local KO Lee owner. If interested I can also share that information.

Thanks, Benny
In middle Tennessee, USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Back