KO-Lee Cutter/Grinder Revamp

mine runs fairly well , the mag chuck patterns with in .0004. i scraped and turcited the ways. The motor was broke when i got mine welde it up runs good.

mine runs fairly well , the mag chuck patterns with in .0004. i scraped and turcited the ways. The motor was broke when i got mine welde it up runs good.
How are you setting up the mag chuck up on yours? A grinding wheel on mine only reaches about 1/2 way over the table. The only way I can think to mount a mag chuck is to use some plate steel to mount it behind the table. That way the grinding wheel can reach every point on the mag chuck.

Last edited:
This is a picture of my setup 5x7"chuck no problems covering the 4"area
5adf7c66d216427f8f97714a22984d36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting, the table on yours is completely different than the one on mine. Here's a 4x7" mag chuck on mine with the table moved as far back as possible; p1.jpg

How long is the motor spindle on yours? Mine is about 2.625" to the flange; p2.jpg

I know y my cross slide is notched out 1" so I don't hit the column

My spindle is the same as yours 2.625

I do see a difference in vise mounting.....the offsets appear different.
Could that be contributing to the difference?

@Kernbigo looks like the vise overhangs the front edge of the table:

kernbigo.jpg

@ballard26 it looks like the vise front edge is even with the table front edge:

ballard.jpg

and the one from @ballard26 even looks like a frowny face!
frown.jpg

-brino

and the one from @ballard26 even looks like a frowny face!
Yeah, it's none too pleased with how it fits lol. The section in marked in red here;

p1.jpg

is the part that I can't reach with the grinding wheel. So I believe that I'll be able to reach even less if I push it forward to overhang the front edge like @Kernbigo 's .

I know y my cross slide is notched out 1" so I don't hit the column

I think thats the answer! The table and column castings collide for me here as well;

p1.jpg

And I believe that the actual screw driving the table still has some travel. So notching out the table casting would fix my problem too. Not sure if I'll do the same modification to mine, but it's a good idea. Thanks!

Back