Kohler K231S Question

I have an old Kohler cast iron 16hp off an old Wheel Horse mower, and it is red. Pretty dull now, but was almost fire engine red. Not sure what I will do with it. I keep hoping to find a genset with a back engine.

irish woodsman & tony
i want to take the head in and get it hot tanked.
i'm getting that old feeling.
i called machine shop and they said they have parts WASHER.
they didn't say they DIDN'T have a hot tank.
do machine shops still have hot tanks where you guys are?

Have A Nice Day!

Environmental issues have forced many places to adopt other means to degrease parts for processing. Some use a vapor method where a solvent is boiled and condensed on the dirty part, then allowed to run back into the reservoir, be filtered and re-used. Some simply use high heat to burn off the oil and grease, along with the paint, then media blast. There aren't many that still run a hot vat, filled with caustic soda.

If you wanted to, since it is a small part, you could do it yourself, with caution. Get some NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide, or Lye) commonly used as drain opener, and a stainless container, such as a large mixing bowl. Using an outdoor flame, like a Coleman camp stove, bring it to around 200 f and ease your part down into it. Beware though, if your part is aluminum. It will dissolve.

tony
so brace myself for 'no hot tank'?
the knock with bead blasting is it leaves the grit.
out here i've heard of guys using a
50 gal drum and pool acid.
i don't think i'll push the panic button yet.:)

Have A Nice Day!

Yes, but don't sell short the methods they use to prep heads and blocks. If they agree to run it for you, you may be surprised.

Don't use pool acid (Muriatic - Hydrochloric). It's difficult to neutralize, and very hard of the lungs. Basic caustic soda, as I mentioned above is friendlier to work with, and can be aggressive. It is what used to be in the vats in those old machine shops. Either one will corrode aluminum and any zinc or zinc alloy materials. Be careful.

tony
no i like machine shop. machine shop good.:)
to be honest i never watched them do it.
they just came back looking like new parts.
fyi i'm not going to make mine own hot tank. never have, never will.
irish
don't do that!
can you say divorce
can you say alimony
sure you can, now you try it.:)

Have A Nice Day!

Well, it's not difficult to set up a vat. I have a small one now (50 gallons or so). In fact, it's hot and has parts in it. I use it primarily for degreasing in prep for Parkerizing and Manganese Phosphating part for the oilfield.

tony
that's off my scope doing anything like that.
i'll give a 'machine shop report' when i go out there.

Have A Nice Day!

HMer's
i'm going to keep it simple and just take head
to machine shop.
at least i'll be getting some kind of start on it!

Have A Nice Day!

Back