Kool Mist vs straight water?

Jake2465

Registered
Registered
Is Kool Mist superior to regular water, or is it used more for corrosion prevention, or both?

I have used straight water mist for my aluminum machining for the past 6 months. It is way better than trying to cut aluminum dry, but now I am wondering if the Kool Mist would allow better cutter lubrication as well?

Good question, I'd be interested in the replies too. I use WD40 as my all around cutting, lubricating and cooling fluid around the shop. Water would definitely save some $ but I'd be concerned about the rust (on the mill parts).

I think I would prefer air blast to straight water. Guess it depends on your compressor as it would take more air than the mister to do the cooling your getting with the mist.

Good question, I'd be interested in the replies too. I use WD40 as my all around cutting, lubricating and cooling fluid around the shop. Water would definitely save some $ but I'd be concerned about the rust (on the mill parts).

And because of rust issues, I always spray my mill table down with WD40 after I have finished my work for the evening. Not a huge deal, but necessary. I have also started to run a shop fan on low in a continuous state to keep air circulation going which helps a lot.

I use water flooding in my lathe and mill and don't have rust problems at all,as long as you use a good soluble oil in the water. So now you solve 2 problems, cooling and lubrication. Actually 3, chip removal as well especially when it comes to milling.

I use WD40 as my all around cutting, lubricating and cooling fluid around the shop

Before going to a spray mist setup, I used to use WD40 as a flood coolant. But, then when I started running higher feed rates, the WD40 would smoke profusely. One time this dude came into the shop because he thought something had caught on fire.

I use a water mist with additive with good results on my Bridgeport and in a spritz bottle for my surface grinder. When I'm done I give the machine a really cursory wipe down, lots of drops and puddles left. By next morning all is dry with NO rust anywhere. I would never use plain water anywhere on my machine tools..............Bob

Back