Korloy MGEHR holder for MGMN inserts

What Lucas said.

Quality tool holders and cheap inserts is the combo in non production environments. We are more likely to chip inserts than wear them out. And we don’t have to worry repeatability. Or scraping out a run of parts because of jacked insert geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that aluminum and steel need different inserts, however a general grade steel insert will work fine for stainless steel and cast iron. It may not be optimized for it, but for a hobbyist or job shop it isn't realistic to stock specialized inserts for each material as it's hard enough to get the all the inserts you need for each profile.

Figure you need round nose and square tip inserts in both polished for aluminum and molded for steel. That's 4 packs of inserts right there and will run you roughly $400 for authentic name brand inserts. That's out of my league as a hobbyist, and I suspect many others.

Yes, my goal for getting the Korloy is due to it being highly copied by Chinese manufacturers. That way you can buy name brand inserts from Korloy if you feel you need quality/consistency, or stock up on a variety of grades/profiles from the Chinese, which have worked very well for me. I'm know they aren't as good as the name brand stuff, but they work well and allow me to get a variety of styles. I've had bad luck in the past with Chinese holders, they were soft, pockets weren't machined square so there were gaps under the insert, etc. So I wanted a quality holder that had cheap inserts available.

As for different grades and profiles here are some examples.

General steel work

Polished for aluminum, also right and left version with angled tips to help leave the knub on the side you want when parting

Round nose for general steel work

Round nose polished for aluminum

Square nose for hardened materials

Cubic boron nitride (CBN) round and square nose for hard materials

You could buy all those for less than one pack of 10 inserts from a name brand tool supplier.

I used AliExpress as it's easy to find all the options. You can buy all those from US places like eBay and amazon as well, but you'll pay more for the same thing.

Im not arguing that the Walter and others are not good options, but you're shoe horned into paying premium prices for proprietary inserts. The benefit the Korloy has is that it's been copied by many manufacturers. They have different grades, you just have to learn how to read the broken English.
OK, probably time that we just agree to disagree. I wouldn't let those inserts from Aliexpress into my shop. I've tried your strategy and scrapped more parts than I care to admit because of crappy inserts failing to perform after I have several hours into a part ending in scrapping the part. It's false economy - at least in my experience.

I’ve had good luck with Suncoast as well. Website can be a little hard to follow but the prices are right. Same with Toolhit mentioned earlier in the thread, one of my go-to’s.

I was looking for knock off DGNs for the same reason you were looking for a higher end holder. I keep a stock of first rate holders and inserts for my cnc gear, but want some lower grade stuff for when I am working on random repair and maintenance parts on my manual stuff.

Smoking a $20 insert on a $100 repair sucks!

OK, probably time that we just agree to disagree. I wouldn't let those inserts from Aliexpress into my shop. I've tried your strategy and scrapped more parts than I care to admit because of crappy inserts failing to perform after I have several hours into a part ending in scrapping the part. It's false economy - at least in my experience.
There's nothing to disagree about. If you got the cash and aren't gonna miss it, the name brand stuff is the way to go. If everyone on this board could call up a tool rep and order the latest and greatest we wouldn't need to spend the time discussing different options. But since most of us have a limited budget to devote, the goal is to find those items that provide high value for limited cost.

One thing is for sure, the profiles and chip breakers on even the cheap inserts are light years ahead of what I could grind in high speed steel.

Last edited:
Back