Korloy MGEHR holder for MGMN inserts

Lucas E

Registered
Registered
It looks to me like Korloy might be the original producer of the MGMN and MRMN inserts and holders. I'd like to buy a quality holder for the MGMN inserts in 1/2" or 12mm size to be able to take advantage of all the cheap MGMN and MRMN inserts available, but I can't seem to find the Korloy MGEGHR1212-X20A anywhere for sale. Does anyone know any other quality holders for the MGMN/MRMN inserts? Are the iscar heli-grip holders compatible? Their do-grip inserts look very similar, but I'd hate to gamble and lose on that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Prod-Rev-Iscar-Do-Grip-Jet-Line.jpg
    Prod-Rev-Iscar-Do-Grip-Jet-Line.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 16
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here is one source for that toolholder. I own it, it's made in China, it works fine, but it is not in the same quality category as a Sandvik or Walter.

IMG_3434b.jpg

This Sandvik clamp-style parting tool is much higher quality, takes a similar insert style, and is my "go-to" parting tool if the depth of cut is sufficient for the operation. Max DOC is just over 1-inch. MSCDirect carries this tool and their insersts, although they are difficult to spot in the catalog. The photo at the Sandvik listing is misleading - I've posted a photo of the one I have below the link:

IMG_3414 (1).jpeg

The insert for the Sandvik is similar in shape, 2.5mm wide (instead of the 3.0mm width of the Korloy) and looks like this - they are expensive, but they last and last, and can be had in different grades for different materials, with right-, neutral-, and left-lead angles and full radius profiles if you need them:

screenshot_5370.jpg

If you need more specifics about the other alternatives to the Korloy, DM me.

I was afraid the only option might be Chinese. Is that one you linked to from carbide and diamond tooling good quality? I see there are some on Amazon for $25 with a pack of 10 inserts. I'm guessing those are garbage. Then there's one for $18 alone (maifax brand). Do you feel the one you bought is worth $44?

I was afraid the only option might be Chinese. Is that one you linked to from carbide and diamond tooling good quality? I see there are some on Amazon for $25 with a pack of 10 inserts. I'm guessing those are garbage. Then there's one for $18 alone (maifax brand). Do you feel the one you bought is worth $44?
I bought this tool to test for my book on indexable tooling. I do not use it for production work since I want higher quality inserts. IMO it’s worth $44, it works fine, but the inserts available for it do not come in the grades I need. I do not recommend the cheap indexable tooling sold on Amazon or eBay - I consider those tools false economy.

I bought this tool to test for my book on indexable tooling. I do not use it for production work since I want higher quality inserts. IMO it’s worth $44, it works fine, but the inserts available for it do not come in the grades I need. I do not recommend the cheap indexable tooling sold on Amazon or eBay - I consider those tools false economy.
Are you running enough parts that you can quantify the benefit of different carbide grades? I would think that would require hundreds of identical parts run on a CNC documenting insert life to notice benefits in different carbide grades.

So far I agree that the cheap tool holders leave much to be desired in terms of quality, but I have been getting good results with the cheap inserts. The usual Chinese offerings of ground polished inserts for aluminum, one for mild steels and cast iron, and one for harder materials have so far been enough of a selection for my work.

For anyone else that is looking I found the inch version for sale here. Which is designated MGEHR08-2 for the half inch shank. It's a pricey one!

MGEHR10-2 for the 5/8" version, MGEHR12-2 for the 3/4". The -2 is the for the 2mm wide MGMN200 inserts.

Looks like the 12mm version is labeled as MGEHR1212-X20A, but I haven't been able to find that for sale in the USA

I know this one is a little stale but still within reason for a reply.

I came across this thread while trying to find cross-compatibility with the Iscar Do-Grip (DGN/R/L) inserts the OP asked about. I dont know with 100% certainty that the Do-Grip (DGN) and MGMN inserts are not compatible, but the knockoff Amazon brand FomaSP sells both and lists a size chart with their DGN inserts. There is 1mm difference in length. They also don't list the height (s) of the DGN copy, but I suspect that may also be an issue as the actual Iscar DGN inserts I have measure 5.12mm high vs the listed 4.8mm for the MGMN.

Please note, I tried to post additional information on MGMN compatibility and other places to buy Korloy holders but I kept getting flagged for spam; there are other options, but apparently I cant share them here, haha.

I ended up buying from Suncoast tools. They are currently listed at $121 although they are backordered. I missed it at first because they have the part number as MGEHR08-X20A which seems to be mix of the imperial and metric nomenclature. Their catalog on the Korloy tools is the only one I've seen it with it listed like that. Here is the link for the 1/2" shank

The Korloy tool is beautiful. I don't have any DGN inserts to try them. Are you looking at MGMN300 for insert height? My MGMN200 are like 4mm tall.

Attachments

• PXL_20220205_212845510.jpg
    PXL_20220205_212845510.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220205_212840111.jpg
    PXL_20220205_212840111.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 21
Are you running enough parts that you can quantify the benefit of different carbide grades? I would think that would require hundreds of identical parts run on a CNC documenting insert life to notice benefits in different carbide grades
I don't have to run a lot of parts to know that an insert graded for aluminum does not perform well on stainless steel and visa versa. Add cast iron in the mix, and another grade is advisable. For some toolholders I have grades for all three material types, other tools I have inserts for a single material type.

The Kolroy MGEHR08-X20A is also available from Hill although there is scant information on it. Are you satisfied that it is compatible with MGMN200 inserts? It's very similar to the German-made similarly priced Walter 6061519 for which, unlike the MGMN200, a variety of nose radius and insert grades are available.

I don't have to run a lot of parts to know that an insert graded for aluminum does not perform well on stainless steel and visa versa. Add cast iron in the mix, and another grade is advisable. For some toolholders I have grades for all three material types, other tools I have inserts for a single material type.
I agree that aluminum and steel need different inserts, however a general grade steel insert will work fine for stainless steel and cast iron. It may not be optimized for it, but for a hobbyist or job shop it isn't realistic to stock specialized inserts for each material as it's hard enough to get the all the inserts you need for each profile.

Figure you need round nose and square tip inserts in both polished for aluminum and molded for steel. That's 4 packs of inserts right there and will run you roughly $400 for authentic name brand inserts. That's out of my league as a hobbyist, and I suspect many others.

The Kolroy MGEHR08-X20A is also available from Hill although there is scant information on it. Are you satisfied that it is compatible with MGMN200 inserts? It's very similar to the German-made similarly priced Walter 6061519 for which, unlike the MGMN200, a variety of nose radius and insert grades are available.
Yes, my goal for getting the Korloy is due to it being highly copied by Chinese manufacturers. That way you can buy name brand inserts from Korloy if you feel you need quality/consistency, or stock up on a variety of grades/profiles from the Chinese, which have worked very well for me. I'm know they aren't as good as the name brand stuff, but they work well and allow me to get a variety of styles. I've had bad luck in the past with Chinese holders, they were soft, pockets weren't machined square so there were gaps under the insert, etc. So I wanted a quality holder that had cheap inserts available.

As for different grades and profiles here are some examples.

General steel work

Polished for aluminum, also right and left version with angled tips to help leave the knub on the side you want when parting

Round nose for general steel work

Round nose polished for aluminum

Square nose for hardened materials

Cubic boron nitride (CBN) round and square nose for hard materials

You could buy all those for less than one pack of 10 inserts from a name brand tool supplier.

I used AliExpress as it's easy to find all the options. You can buy all those from US places like eBay and amazon as well, but you'll pay more for the same thing.

Im not arguing that the Walter and others are not good options, but you're shoe horned into paying premium prices for proprietary inserts. The benefit the Korloy has is that it's been copied by many manufacturers. They have different grades, you just have to learn how to read the broken English.

Last edited:
Back