Kubota Diesel

Had a hair line crack in a steel the suction side fuel line on one of my backhoes. Took a while to track that one down. It would start (not easily) but had absolutely no power. Good advice above, will be interesting to find out what it was. Mike

I pulled the glow plugs for a bench check.
Kubota 013 (Small).jpg
The break off torque was under 5 Lbs. And the showed rust on the threads.
On the bench they passed the ohm test. And all three lit up under power with in 8 seconds.

I'm going to clean the threads and look up the correct install torque as they seemed too loose to me and showing rust might be a bad electrical connection.
Thanks for all the tips y'all.
Will report progress or lack of tomorrow . I got to go and find the Brute another plane ticket.
**Keep your powder dry*********G********

First thank you for all the suggestions.
As far as pulling or pushing it to start thats not an option with this unit.
kubota 019 (Small).jpg
kubota 024 (Small).jpg
The hydrostatic drive will not turn the motor over.

I'm going to install the clean glowplugs after I finish my morning coffee.
Updates to come.
*G*

Hi Gator
I don't like ether start it can ruin the bores. But I have found that a twist of wire to hold a small piece of rag soaked in fuel mixed with lube oil set alight and held at the inlet manifold will get the most obstinate motor going. the flame and oil smoke sucked into the engine makes a mixture that the engine cant ignore providing the injectors are working. If you hold the injector pipe while the engine is being cranked you should Be able to feel the pulse of the pump as it injects the fuel, although this may be faint on such a small motor .
You can undo the high pressure lines to the injectors one turn and crank the engine fuel will come out of the pipe when the pump works. It will NOT gush out at high pressure because the pressure is only there when the injector is trying to stop the flow before the now developing pressure overcomes the spring loaded valve in the injector.
Brian.

Thank You for that explanation Brian,
The lit fuel/oil mixture will be tried if the motor does not start after I put the clean glowplugs back in.
Out to do that now.
*G*

Update:
Ordered a new fuel pump. Only took 10 days by slow boat to get here.

Replacing all the old fuel lines and filter with new.
kubota 034 (Small).jpg
I sure hate it when the warning comes in another language.
kubota 035 (Small).jpg
I don't use gasket goop. To my mind the gasket should do the job or it ain't a gasket. I paint mine.
kubota 036 (Small).jpg
New lines installed.All thats left is clean the tank and add fresh fuel.
kubota 038 (Small).jpg
This don't work then the injectors come off for cleaning and a bench check.
*G*

Had to jump on a new project that rolled into the drive way.
Will get back to the 'bota in the AM when it's cooler.
*G*

Hope it fixes it , they do start easier when eng temp is 70^

Back