Kubota tractor part.

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
A guy brought me this bracket that had an ear broke off and wanted me to make another bracket from 1/2" plate. That was the easy part. As the bolts were metric and had a taper like the old VW wheel studs. So i dreamed up a tapered washer to use between the 7/16" grade 8 bolts i found and made the tapered washers from 3/4" 4140 barstock. Then the braket had tapered seats on the side where the bearing housing sat. So i had to rig up a way to drill the taper using a 4 flute 1 1/16 #3 MT drill bit which doesn't fit my drill press. So i used my lathe spindle to hold the #3 MT drill (and it does fit the SB lathe spindle just fine). And i held the plate to drill with my compound mounted angle plate and some vise grips. Oh i used my 8" 4 jaw chuck to hold the plate to bore the 3" round hole for the bearing housing. Then i had to bandsaw the 2" split in it. Nice hour job on this crummy day outside. My buddy is going to weld it back on the tractor where ever he cut it off of. Enjoy...Bob

projects 011.jpg projects 003.jpg projects 004.jpg projects 005.jpg projects 006.jpg projects 008.jpg projects 014.jpg projects 012.jpg projects 013.jpg projects 009.jpg

Good looking part design. Little one offs like that can be a great source of goodwill and a way to naje a little spare change in addition to getting something going again. Definately a winner in my book all the way around.

Bob

You saying you made that part in one hour? Youre quick.. I'd have done the work with vertical mill, would have chewed up some time setting up the rotary table to do what you did with the 4 jaw chuck.

Back