• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Kunming KXM10 4" Universal Cutter Grinder

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
after doing some surfin' on CL, i found a vintage import Kunming KXM10 4" Universal Cutter Grinder
it is a clone of the famed Deckel SO cutter grinder

KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder 4.jpg
KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder.jpg

KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder 2.jpg
KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder 1.jpg

KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder5.jpg
KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder7.jpg

this lil' 220v 3 phase, 5,300 RPM, 1/4 hp cutter grinder came complete with tools.
namely an assortment of HSS and Carbide blanks and grinding wheels, spare grinding wheel hub, & the stock set of deckel style collets (1/8-5/8 by 1/8" increments- 8 total)

KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder 3.jpg

it also came with a vintage storage stand with heavy duty ball bearing drawers

KMX10 Universal Cutter Grinder6.jpg

to power the unit on single phase 240v, i'll be using a surplus Yaskawa VFD .
i'll post video's in the coming weeks!

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Mike, I didn’t know you had the talent to read the hieroglyphics on the name tag and identify the machine! You very smart man! But you still suck!...Dave
Thanks Dave,
But if it was not for Google, I would'nt have known the manufacturer
But thanks for giving me credit I don't deserve!:)

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
you are welcome in my shop anytime Bob.
the cutter grinder is here waiting for work!
now i just gotta go thru the learning curve :black eye:
Reality check. I have an end mill sharpening fixture to use on my surface grinder and have not even tested it yet... Nice machine you have there, capable and not too fussy to use. Find some dull tools that aren't too special and use them as guinea pigs. What could go wrong??? :eek:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Well i jumped into the pool and here is the proof!
the big carbide endmill is there to show a comparison of the relative condition and damage done to the repaired endmill.
i didn't snap a before picture, so that was the second best i could offer.

bit repair 1.jpg
bit repair 2.jpg
bit repair 3.jpg

other than needing to get more familiar with the nuances of operation,
i'd say the first test was successful! :grin:
the endmill is by no means perfect, but i got rid of the chipped cutting surfaces.
with further grinding,
i may be able to restore the end cutting ability, but that's for the next chapter.

chips&more

Active User
I have a very similar grinder (pic) and use it for sharpening single lip pantograph cutters. Does a nice job of it. Have not used it for some time now because I can buy carbide cutters for pennies. And when the cutters dull I repurpose the carbide shanks and make micro boring bars out of them. It’s a win win. Have always wondered how the grinder would sharpen other stuff. I have soooo many cutters that I’m not really concerned about a sharpening capability in my shop. But it would be nice to know. I will also scratch my head, we can scratch our heads together.
panogrinder.JPG

Last edited:

chips&more

Active User
A question; does the head (part that holds the collet and also rotate) have any positive stop(s) of rotation? Or do you just turn, note the graduation and lock?

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
A question; does the head (part that holds the collet and also rotate) have any positive stop(s) of rotation? Or do you just turn, note the graduation and lock?
Hi Dave,
Very cool grinder you have!

Yes sir, the head on the kmx10 can be locked in one position and manual graduation is noted and it has a 180* rotation feature.
There is a type of pawl that is lifted and rotated to select free rotation, locked, and 180* rotation.
There may be (read: are) other functions that i am ignorant of :grin:

chips&more

Active User
So it’s currently as it sits for two flute end mills, drill bits and the like? And just sharpening the ends of said stuff?

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
It can do some limited cylindrical grinding and can produce (relatively short) tapers too!

I want to grind some carbide boring bars from scraps :)

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
So it’s currently as it sits for two flute end mills, drill bits and the like? And just sharpening the ends of said stuff?
apparently it is better suited to sharpening things than originally anticipated.
i found out that there are more indexing capabilities, by accident- there is some grinding dust that interferes with the pawl operation
i'll need to clean that up to use the indexing function fully !
more mysteries uncovered by the moment!:grin:

chips&more

Active User
Looking good Mike! That outta work! I have a few watchmaker lathes:D. And I dedicated one of them to the harsh environment of grinding swarf. The boring bars that I make (pic) are typically very small because of my work envelope. I can bore 0.010” holes (but have not done that in a while). More like 0.025” and bigger is the range for my retirement years. Please make sure you use a vac system when grinding carbide…Dave
boringbars.jpg

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Thanks Dave,
Wow those are some cool boring bars!
I'm waaay to heavy handed and clumsy to use such well crafted and small tooling :oops:

Thanks for the reminder about carbide dust control and collection!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
as a point of information,
i did some more investigation, the head pawl has 15* set index points plus a vernier rotating feature that allows for virtually any angle to be indexed.
a very well thought out feature.

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Mike, living vicariously through your posts is not making me happy! :chagrin:
Hi Mikey,
i have wanted my own machine shop since i was a kid. my grandfather had a lot to do with it!
he had a modest shop with only a few tools, but he made useful things that are still being used- although he has been gone 40 years now.

i don't want to make money from the machine shop, that's not my intention.
this is a venture of blind love- arguably, the a quest of a fool who loves tools.
i just want to have the oddest/coolest tools i can get my hands on to construct or repair things of interest.

if my ramblings and show and tell inspire others to do something or go after something they would like, then i'm happy to to be the beacon. :tranquility:
if my work serves no other inspiration than a way to instruct others as how NOT to do something, i'm cool with that too. :bang head:

i really do appreciate all the folks who stop by and read my crap or at least look at the pictures! :)

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
after looking around in the cabinet that was furnished with the cutter grinder, i found the original Chinese/English manual from August 1982 !
i scanned the english portion of the manual for those interested as follows:

Scan_20170701.jpg
Scan_20170701 (2).jpg
Scan_20170701 (3).jpg
Scan_20170701 (4).jpg
Scan_20170701 (5).jpg
Scan_20170701 (6).jpg
Scan_20170701 (7).jpg
Scan_20170701 (8).jpg
Scan_20170701 (9).jpg
Scan_20170701 (10).jpg
Scan_20170701 (11).jpg