you are welcome in my shop anytime Bob.
the cutter grinder is here waiting for work!
now i just gotta go thru the learning curve :black eye:
Reality check. I have an end mill sharpening fixture to use on my surface grinder and have not even tested it yet... Nice machine you have there, capable and not too fussy to use. Find some dull tools that aren't too special and use them as guinea pigs. What could go wrong??? :eek:

Well i jumped into the pool and here is the proof!
the big carbide endmill is there to show a comparison of the relative condition and damage done to the repaired endmill.
i didn't snap a before picture, so that was the second best i could offer.

bit repair 1.jpg
bit repair 2.jpg
bit repair 3.jpg

other than needing to get more familiar with the nuances of operation,
i'd say the first test was successful! :grin:
the endmill is by no means perfect, but i got rid of the chipped cutting surfaces.
with further grinding,
i may be able to restore the end cutting ability, but that's for the next chapter.

I have a very similar grinder (pic) and use it for sharpening single lip pantograph cutters. Does a nice job of it. Have not used it for some time now because I can buy carbide cutters for pennies. And when the cutters dull I repurpose the carbide shanks and make micro boring bars out of them. It’s a win win. Have always wondered how the grinder would sharpen other stuff. I have soooo many cutters that I’m not really concerned about a sharpening capability in my shop. But it would be nice to know. I will also scratch my head, we can scratch our heads together.
panogrinder.JPG

Last edited:
A question; does the head (part that holds the collet and also rotate) have any positive stop(s) of rotation? Or do you just turn, note the graduation and lock?

Last edited:
A question; does the head (part that holds the collet and also rotate) have any positive stop(s) of rotation? Or do you just turn, note the graduation and lock?
Hi Dave,
Very cool grinder you have!

Yes sir, the head on the kmx10 can be locked in one position and manual graduation is noted and it has a 180* rotation feature.
There is a type of pawl that is lifted and rotated to select free rotation, locked, and 180* rotation.
There may be (read: are) other functions that i am ignorant of :grin:

So it’s currently as it sits for two flute end mills, drill bits and the like? And just sharpening the ends of said stuff?

It can do some limited cylindrical grinding and can produce (relatively short) tapers too!

I want to grind some carbide boring bars from scraps :)

Back