Kurt Vise...best Place To Buy?

Buggy Chief

Registered
Registered
I am new to this hobby. With that, I am getting ready to buy a PM bench top machine. My brother is a machinist and he said, "don't skimp on the vice". I am looking for a 4" Kurt vise.

Question is, where is the best place to buy a Kurt vice at the best price? Thanks in advance!!!

I paid $480. Do an ebay search and make an offer. Doubt it is the best place but it was the cheapest.

There's don't scrimp and there's buying a name.
For you hobby you can get a great vise for less.
Check out the selection at Little Machine Shop.
Their better quality vises will suit you just fine.
They are good products.

I think the eBay prices are usually out of hand on used Kurts, sometimes 80-90% of the cost of new for a decades old, worn-out vise. I bought my new D688 directly from Kurt for $410.00, delivered to my door. They have a "Scratch and Dent" section that sells vises that have minor cosmetic flaws, they are fully functional warrantee and all, for nice a discount.

I bid on them at auctions but $250 is absolute max unless its mint but they are usually beat, rusty and full of machined "bonus features".

I have 2 Kurts a 6 and a 4, both are fine but I would not be afraid of buying a vise from Shars, I have seen them, they are nice and do not lift. http://www.shars.com/products/toolholding-workholding/vise/4-440v-cnc-milling-machine-vise-0-0004-1

michael

+1 on Shars; I have 2 of their 6" that I often use together on my Ez Trak. Very pleased with them, their bed heights are within .002" of each other.
In fact, I'm about to buy 2 of their CNC vises for my Fadal.

Stan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on Glacern. They make a fine vise, and occasionally run a sale.

Thanks for all the replies. Like the look of the Glacern, but starting to get in the zone of...."do I pony up for a Kurt" or do i spend the $150 (delta) on something else. Any experience with the HOMGE that Matt sells at Precision Matthews? It comes with a swivel at is about $250....

Back