Kurt vise disassembly

I have my vise apart right now doing some much needed maintenance on it. The fixed jaw on mine has a 3/8×1/2 machine key. Nothing special but it does fit into the body snug.
Those bolts might be pretty tight if they haven't already been removed before.
Joe
Joe, from what I understand, Kurt has regular threads, not acme. I always thought that was wierd. Are you cutting new ones because you thought they were worn out?

The vise needs at least a partial rebuild. It certainly needs some paint in hard to reach places. I will be placing some pieces on a surface plate and touching up high spots.

Still trying occasionally. I’m running out of Allen wrench. I’ve twisted 5 pieces of 1/2” in in a socket with extension bar. I have been giving it a shot with the impact hoping it would help. My understanding, the base has precision ground blocks. The fixed jaw sits on the, 2 blocks. The blocks have an interference fit. I’m beginning to think it’s the torq. As, the other bolt I was able to remove has no corrosion. I am now trying to fit a versa on 1 mill. As I sold the D688 that was on the mill. Guy got the vise for $225. The vise was tight and clean. I told him I felt like I was robbed, somewhat jokingly.
try heat. it will help loosen it up, won't hurt the cast iron.

Where are the pics of the vise ? :)

Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 19
Have you tried shocking it out ? Can't believe a good hex head driver would twist , but you're cutting them up from old wrenches it sounds like from your posts .

I will try just about anything that won’t damage the vise. I haven’t heard of shocking. I thought about using heat. However, the Kurt tech gave me a 10 series metal they use for jaws. I think it might warp the jaws.

Joe, from what I understand, Kurt has regular threads, not acme. I always thought that was wierd. Are you cutting new ones because you thought they were worn out?
They are 1 1/8" 7tpi left hand Acme. It screws right into the nut
Joe

Back