Kurt vises

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
I bought the 3" precision Kurt style milling vise, with swivel base, from LMS.
Now, as I understood before purchase, a Kurt type vise should pull down the work when tightened, to avoid the soft mallet pounding, correct?

If this is true, why do the parallel bars I use under the work piece start to rattle and wiggle around once underway?

I think I may have to take a closer look at this vise, from a surgeons point of view while I wait for your responses.

Mike.

You still have to snug the parts down, the construction of the vise just eliminated the movable jaw from lifting when tightened. I use hold downs to snug the parts down most of the time.

You are referring to the Angle-lok configuration that Kurt uses. This depends on a ball bearing with a flat ground on one side that causes the dynamic jaw to put downward pressure as it tightens. That flat has to be accurate, as does the pocket the ball fits in to.

If the part you are trying to clamp is not square to begin with then it may rise up in the vise. If the vise jaws are not parallel then the part can move.

Even when everything is right the part may still require tapping down on the parallels.

Normally you have to tap the part down while tightening, even with Kurt vises. I keep a dead blow hammer at the mill just for that purpose. If it's really critical, I use strips of paper between the parallel ends and the part so I can tug on them and check the fit.

Standard procedure for me is, snug the part, tap with a soft faced hammer, tighten the vise and tap again, the parallels should not move , if they do your not flat, as Tom Lipton says "rinse and repeat "

Mikey,
I did surgery on the vise while waiting for replies and saw the flattened steel ball and socket you mentioned. As is the usual case with items I've purchased from far-away lands, engineering is descent but final assembly and finishing is lacking (non-existent actually). There was dirt and debris obstructing everything. I'm surprised it worked at all. However, after a good breakdown and cleaning, then careful reassembly, it now clamps much better and after fiddling with the adjustment screw under the locking screw handle which controls the internal angle block, it actually works as I expected it - forces down the work. No more do the parallels move after clamping. Apparently, the finishing crew just used gorilla force on the adjustment screw defeating the mechanism completely.

Thank you everyone for your time and guidance.
Mike.

I try to always finalize posts with an update or resolution as best I can.
Others take time out of their day to assist me, only seems fair to acknowledge their time with a conclusion.

Mike.

Mikey,
I did surgery on the vise while waiting for replies and saw the flattened steel ball and socket you mentioned. As is the usual case with items I've purchased from far-away lands, engineering is descent but final assembly and finishing is lacking (non-existent actually). There was dirt and debris obstructing everything. I'm surprised it worked at all. However, after a good breakdown and cleaning, then careful reassembly, it now clamps much better and after fiddling with the adjustment screw under the locking screw handle which controls the internal angle block, it actually works as I expected it - forces down the work. No more do the parallels move after clamping. Apparently, the finishing crew just used gorilla force on the adjustment screw defeating the mechanism completely.

Thank you everyone for your time and guidance.
Mike.
Last vise off the line at the end of a long shift maybe?
Dis-assemble, clean, inspect, de-burr, lubricate, re-assemble.
'Final Assembly' performed by final Owner... :grin:

Back